SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmni

sweet pepper and pole bean issues

gmni
14 years ago

I purchased several sweet pepper plants - various varieties- shipped from Burpee. I planted in my square foot garden in late May. The plants have never seemed to grow much or flourish despite sufficient watering. Each is now bearing 1-2 peppers but most of the flowers did not produce fruit. We had a relatively cool June, and the heat finally arrived in July, but overall it has not been scorching in Utah terms - usually highs in the low-mid 90s. A few triple digit days. I figure that I must have neglected to fertilize or something early on.

Any tips on growing sweet peppers in this climate, how to fertilize, etc? I think the climate here can be challenging because the spring (cool) to summer (hot) switch seems to occur very fast. But I love sweet peppers and would like to try again next year.

My other issue is pole beans. Kentucky wonder. I planted these and the vines have grown very well. A few weeks ago there were lots of blossoms and I expected these to yield beans. However, I have only gotten three! Did the hotter weather (some 100 degree days) in the last two weeks do them in? The vines are still growing, will they start to produce blossoms again?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (5)