SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Dividing Two Ficus Lyrata in Grown in Same Pot?

lizzie_nh
10 years ago

So, I guess I have jumped on the Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata) bandwagon. In my defense, I didn't know there was a bandwagon! Guess I'm out of the loop. I saw one of these plants, liked it, looked it up, and realized it's the darling of designers and design bloggers. I've seen conflicting information about it, from claims of it being very fickle, to claims that it's the perfect impossible-to-kill houseplant for those with "black thumbs." The black thumbs comment keeps popping up on designer-wannabe blogs and I suspect that one blogger's claim spread like wildfire across the "blogosphere," as tends to happen. I'm not convinced it's an accurate claim, and need to know just how careful I need to be in caring for and dividing the plant.

I purchased one of the $12.99 IKEA pots, which includes a roughly 24" specimen. It seems pretty clear that this is actually two plants. I didn't do particularly invasive probing, but I felt around the soil a bit, and it seems fairly loose - I'm sure the two root systems are intertwined, but perhaps not terribly so. It's definitely not pot-bound.

I would like to divide these and repot them so that I have two single stemmed plants in separate pots. Aside from aesthetic considerations, it seems like the large leaves on the side of each stem closest to the other stem are getting in each other's way and probably blocking light. The stems are only 3"-4" apart from each other right now.
Is there anything special I need to consider? If need be, can I cut the plants apart with a knife, or will that be the death of them? Is there any special soil mixture I should use? (I currently already own regular old potting soil, and peat moss.) I've had them for about a week and so far they seem fine, with a new leaf unfurling and another one beginning to emerge. They're in a room which gets pretty good light all day.

This post was edited by lizzie_nh on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 9:12

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!