SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Grapes, Rate of Growth?

Edymnion
13 years ago

Was at Wal-Mart getting a tire fixed, and killed the time digging through the garden department. Along with the normal fruits and veggies they have, I noticed something new this time. White seedless grape stalks. In one of those biodegradable cardboard "pots", trimmed back to a woody stalk with no vegetation about, oh I don't know, 8-10 inches high. Figured what the heck, its only $5.

Planted it according to directions, but it didn't say anything about support. Having always seen in movies and TV shows that grape vines grow on trellises, I hammered a support pole in next to the vine stalk.

Did some preliminary reading, said that grapes only grow on new growth from last year's wood. Makes me think I won't get any grapes this year, but thats fine. What I'm really wondering is how fast this thing will grow.

Right now its just that one pole next to it (about 5 feet tall after hammering it in). Is this going to be something that I'm going to turn around practically tomorrow and need to be setting up that classic wire support I see on TV, or is this going to be a "It'll take a year to grow up the pole, then a year to branch out, then maybe the year after that you'll get your first grape"?

Comments (19)