SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

?'s on grape variety differing growth habits

windfall_rob
12 years ago

How markedly different are the growth habits of vines considered trailing vs semi-upright?

We are installing a grape arbor off an elevated deck attached to our home. It will total 5 vines. 3 of these went in the ground last spring. The other 2 I tried to size up in pots...used a poor medium and they tanked. So I am ordering replacements. as I went through the catalogs again I realized that all of the varieties we have chosen are considered trailing habit with the exception of Brianna which is considered semi-upright, and also happens to be one of those I need to replace.

We are using all cold hardy varieties that can be used for table grapes so our choices are limited. We are also trying to stagger ripening and get a mix of color types.

What I am wondering is: Will the difference in growth habit (and a slightly lower vigor as well) show up as noticeable aesthetic "break"? Sort of like cowlick in a kids hair? Or will the difference be minor

Certainly I understand that if growing and training for production the habit will be important. Will it be equally so for an arbor which is primarily for shade?

Comment (1)