SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

crocuses/grape hyacinths - success rate

posierosie_zone7a
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Years ago I saw someone's back lawn that was filled with purple crocuses which I assume multiplied over possibly decades. It was a literal carpet and such a beautiful sight!

I am in my first home for a little over a year and have no Spring bulbs! Spring is my favorite time of year mostly bc i love the blooms. So, I bought 60 muscari and 80 crocus bulbs and randomly placed them around my lawn. I got them at HD a few weeks ago and kept in my basement fridge.

I have a few questions:
1. What is the success rate I can expect in general? By this I mean, what percentage of bulbs fail?
2. The package indicate they "naturalize". What does that mean? The clumps get bigger? I would love some spreading but my understanding is this takes quite a long time.
3. I would love to go back and buy a bunch more for a spectacular show in the Spring. However, since I do not know the answers to the above questions I feel like I should do a test season to see if anything even comes up. Also, if they spread like crazy, why spend extra when a bit of patience will do the same?

Any advice will be helpful!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!