SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Planning a bed, input appreciated

auron22
9 years ago

I have a new bed primarily for deciduous azalea's, 3 of them, but since i'm cheap i buy them young or on the "i'm dying" rack.... the bed is pretty bare. It probably will be for a year or so... until the azaleas fill in.
I figured some crocus and hyacinth would extend the spring display and are relatively easy to care for. Once those are done strutting their stuff, i thought about hakone grass for the rest of the season, probably a gold variety....or fubuki, a variegated grass that supposedly has hints of pink in fall.

I have several questions about this.

1) Will dividing every 3-5 years be necessary? if so, will it kill my azalea doing so? I know that they have shallow roots. None of the bulbs would be any closer than 12" from the azaleas.

2) Will crocus and hyacinths work together in close proximity? I would like my crocus to form a mat, and my hyacinths would be spaced 4-6 inches apart.

3) Crocus varieties i want are jeanne d'arc, pickwick, and blue pearl, all mixed in for a blended cool color scheme, and that touch of yellow/orange on those stamens for contrast. But i noticed blue pearl is classified as species, does this mean it won't increase at the same rate as large flowered crocus? or bloom a different time? Is this just negligible and i'm neurotic?

4) Does hakone grass come in too early? I'm not experienced with hyacinth, or hakone grass...so i don't know how that would work out. If hakone is too competetive, or otherwise incompatable with hyacinth/crocus, what other perennials would work to keep the bed filled during summer/fall?. This is a partial shade location, with approx 3-4 hours of direct afternoon sun after trees have leafed out.

I'm open for suggestions or alternatives if the aforementioned plants sound horrendous/incompatible.

Am i rambling?......

Comments (13)