SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Cherry trees fruited well then hardly any flowers/fruit last year

Wayne Reibold
16 years ago

I have some cherry fruit trees (two Rainier, one a 3-in-1 cherry including Bing), trees have been in ground for 3 years, were purchased in 5-gallon pots and were about 6' tall when purchased, very plentiful quantity of fruit production the first summer but last summer much less flowering and fruit produced despite applying a layer of compost around them in spring which I thought would help. No unusual frost conditions existed last spring/summer, I watch the trees all the time and they just didn't get many flowers (and thus not many fruit).

Any idea of reasons cherry trees would fruit really well one season then little flower production/fruit the next season? The conditions where the trees are hasn't changed, lots of sun and on a drip system which keeps them with plenty of water.

I haven't applied any fertilizer and am wondering if that's worth a shot this spring/summer to try and see if I can get them bearing more flowers and fruit??

The trees look very healthy.

I haven't seen any fertilizers in the garden stores/home stores that specifically list cherry fruit trees so I wanted to ask for recommendations here.

Thanks!

Comment (1)