SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhhstudios_gw

My First vegetable garden (pics)

bhhstudios
15 years ago

So last summer I moved into my new house and there were several flower beds but no vegetable garden. This year I wanted to change that. I was very limited to where I could place it, the ground is full of rock and there is lots of shade in the few places that have deep soil.

I picked the larges bed that the previous owners had mulched. After working the soil I quickly found out that the huge boulder in the lawn stretched far underground. I added hundreds of liters of soil and composted sheep manure.

Because there was so much that needed to be done to the soil and all the rocks had to be taken out I didn't get the garden in till the 19th of June. All were transplanted except for the radish. I still plan on planing some more lettuce and beets.

I have learned lots so far and will do a lot differently next year. I plan to build some raised beds next year because where the tomatoes are literally on top of granite. I also need to be much sooner on getting the supplies, this year I was forced to get those horrible tomato cages because every other support system was sold out. I wanted to get spiral stakes from Lee Valley. I did manage to bury the hose to the garden from the house and set up a watering station right at the garden. I also have lots of deer and rabbits but did not want a unsightly fence so I went with a

motion sensing sprinkler which so far has worked wonders.

So here it is. The cucumbers look pretty bad but they are coming back one is even flowering, I have read transplanting cucumbers is usually not successful. The black mulch on the tomatoes is 100% decomposable and made of organic corn products. I used it to prevent erosion because there is very little soil close to the granite.

I can't wait till harvest time!

{{gwi:87209}}

{{gwi:87210}}

{{gwi:87211}}

{{gwi:87212}}

{{gwi:87213}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath