SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottawan_z5a

Question about Cambium - stuck to wood surface or bark ?

ottawan_z5a
13 years ago

A question is bothering me and a wrong assumption by me can have impact on grafting success in case I improvise/modify while using a current standard method.

It is known that Cambium layer lies between the wood and the bark and it is said to be only two molecules thick.

My question is "If the bark is separated from the wood (as in the case of bark graft), where does the Cambium layer go;does it stay on the wood or moves with the bark or is it staying with both (somehow, even if 2 molecues thick)?

I have seen bark grafts where the cut surface of the scion where cambium is exposed is placed against the rootstock wood and pushed under the bark of the rootstock so the bark of the rootstock comes on top of the scion bark. This indicates to me that the Cambium layer on the rootstock stays on the wood so the exposed cambium on scion cut makes contact with it.

I have also seen a Chinese modified stem graft (can't locate it now but it was praised for its success rate) where an addition slanting cut is made on the scion stem surface facing away from the rootstock wood which is then covered by the rootstock bark. The cut on the top of scion piece then covered by the rootstock bark will indicate that the rootstock bark also has the Cambium layer otherwise the cut on the top of scion stem facing away from the rootstock wood will be of no use.

(It should be noted that the stem surface facing the rootstock wood was also cut to expose the cambium. The slanting cut on the outside surface of the scion stem was additional contact with the rootstock bark over it and a modification)

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)