SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megamav

Questions about apple scion and old stock behavior

megamav
10 years ago

So I regrafted my calville blanc branch that had green tips on it but hadnt moved in about a month.

The little leaves sticking out of it were starting to wilt, the other side of the cleft, the scion was brown and dead in the middle.
This one that stopped moving, after I sawed it off, I snapped it, and was still green and moist but the stock was not green, but it was wet in the middle. The cambium layer and rind on the stock was a brownish color. I was expecting a greenish look to it.

So my question is, as these trees get older and the scaffolds get old, do they stop pushing a lot of sap and just try to keep things alive rather than expand?

This tree, in my estimate is probably 20 years old.
Scaffold branch is about 3" in diameter, bark flakes easy.
Rind is a good 1/8-1/4" thick.

Im kinda kicking myself for sawing it off, but at the same time im wondering if it really doesnt matter all that much, that this scaffold branch is just doomed to renewal.

The tree is putting out new shoots, so the overall health of the tree is good, im just wondering if this tree just flat out gave up on this scaffold branch, since, next to it, not attached to this scaffold, about 2" away a new green shoot is coming out of the trunk.
Any thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths