SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzyann13

Apple Grafting Question

suzyann13
12 years ago

I moved from Washington to Idaho, and I wanted to take my wonderful apple tree along, so I took a grafting class. I grafted four branches of my tree in the spring, right after we moved, following the directions from the class.

Only one scion stayed alive, but the leaf buds didn't bud out into leaves, it was simply still supple. The rootstock leafed out within a month of my grafting. Since the other three scions died but I could tell this one was alive, and since I desperately wanted my apple tree, I thought maybe I could pick the leaves off the root stock and it would re-send the message to leaf out.

About 9 days ago, I picked the rootstock leaves off, and within four days, the leaves on the scion budded out. They now are opening up, and the root stock also has new leaves, but they are growing faster than the scion leaves.

This tree is extremely precious to me, so I really want to do anything I can to keep it alive. It's in a huge pot with Miracle Grow soil. Is it better to have it in full sun, part sun, or shade? Is it too late in the year (in this cold area of Idaho) for the tree to gain strength and make it through the winter? Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you for your time, anyone who answers.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022