SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ooojen

2-D Artwork

ooojen
18 years ago

"What's on your wall--?"

I've been struggling over what I should hang in my kitchen and living room. In the kitchen I have 3 potential spots for artwork, and I've decided to leave two of them unadorned...or at least to adorn only the lower part with 3-D arrangements that I can change with the seasons. The third is going to cover a TV that's set into the wall. Since the exact shape and size (and mount-ability) are important, I might have to make my own.

Now, the living room... I've looked at a million (or so it seems!) paintings, and none are just right. I don't want to pay an enormous price, but I realize I'm not apt to find anything that calls to me dirt cheap, either.

Some organized bunch used to have "Starving Artists' Sales" around here a couple times a year, where art students and wanna-bes' practice paintings would be sold to at least cover the cost of materials. There was some great stuff! There hasn't been one around here for several years, though. While I'd love an original, I'd be happy with a good, textured-over gicl.

The thing is, I don't really know what I want. I know it'll scream my name when (if) I see it, that's all.

I've seen a few things on ebay that I liked, but apparently what grabs me, grabs other people too-- people with more money than I!

All in all, I don't really have much artwork on my walls. I had a print in the master bath (pintails and lotus) but I broke the glass in the frame when I took it down to mud the ceiling. It's not really of a quality to re-frame. I've got a few small things that I've gotten while traveling (watercolors, temple rubbings) but no dramatic-statement type art.

How about the rest of you-- do you have a lot of artwork on your walls? Do you have just a couple select things? How did you choose what you have? Did you agonize over getting just the right thing, or did you just pick up whatever made you happy at the time, thinking you could replace it when it got ho-hum to you? Do you like serious stuff that makes you look and think, or do you like pretty stuff that makes you feel good? Do you go for dramatic and eyecatching, or something that softly enhances the rest of the decor?

(...and Tisha, did you get your kiss picture? How did the display come out?) I'd love to hear about-- or to see (!) what others have done and how/why you selected what you did.

Comments (14)