SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierra327

Thinning Overgrown Plum Thicket?

13 years ago

I have recently moved back home and am starting up a little homestead this year. There are a good amount of trees on the property, including an intensely overgrown thicket of plum trees. I am not sure what the variety is - they have not fruited for some time because of how crowded they are. I understand that this is because their roots are very close to the surface and they send up a lot of suckers. This little grove has not been maintained at all in at least 30 years.

I want to thin out this patch so that the plums are able to fruit. My question is -- I heard that I'm not supposed to prune plums until the summer (June, here in Maine) because if they're pruned while dormant they're more susceptible to silver leaf disease. Is this also true for cutting whole trees? I'm not sure if they are connected underground, so I don't want to leave a stump exposed during winter if there's a chance it might make the whole grove more vulnerable.

Also, I want to make sure that these are in fact plum trees. Is there a good way to identify them during the winter?

Thanks!

Comments (2)