SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

I'm so happy with my cucumbers !

raisemybeds
16 years ago

I am having a great season with cucumbers! Last year I couldn't get any cukes due to the cuke beetles chewing the plants down, but this time I only saw a few beetles and the plants developed beautifully. I have 2 varieties: Spacemaster 80 and Turbo. I had grown Turbo before and loved it, but Spacemaster 80 was new this season, and I have to recommend it. This gets no more than 36" tall and is yielding very nice fat cucumbers. So far only a little bit of yellowing/crispiness to the bottoms of the plant - not bad at all for this late in July. I have my cukes planted in 2 different locations, and although both spots are producing well, the planting that is in a bigger bed with more worm castings (due to the history of soil-building in that particular bed) is really very superior and is fruiting better. I am now starting to give fruits away as they are coming in faster than we can chow them down. They do require a TON of water at the base of the plant, so remember to water your cukes liberally during this peak production time. When cucumbers are not inhibited by mildew or insects they can really crank. What a great year, all. Hope you are eating lots of cucumbers !!!!

Comments (13)