SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

which trees to double as shade tree in livestock pasture?

cousinfloyd
12 years ago

I'd like to plant some shade trees in my pastures to give me more fencing/rotation options, and I'd like to get more than just shade out of the trees. What kind of fruit (or nut) trees would you all think would be good to have in a pasture? I definitely don't want anything with any potential to poison any livestock like wild cherries. Would all prunus species have that problem? Trees I've thought about are mulberries, full size apples or pears, native persimmons, jujubes, chestnuts... Any thoughts about those particular possibilities? Ideally the trees wouldn't need to be protected from the livestock once they sized up. If the livestock hadn't been in that rotation for a few months I could harvest from underneath the tree (or in some places I could plant along fence lines and harvest just from one side of the fence and let the animals eat whatever fell on the inside), but I'm also envisioning trees that would be tall enough to grow above the reach of the livestock that I could then use a ladder to harvest from. Are there any trees that livestock wouldn't even try to eat, at least not until right before they ripened? Jujubes maybe? Are jujube thorns bad enough to puncture tractor tires?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

-Eric

Comments (10)