SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jody_gw

Shade garden tree

jody
16 years ago

Our house has a 1/8 acre shade garden behind it. While I'm a rose grower, I love this shade garden. It is full of birds - something we promote with bird feeders and bird baths. We sit on the deck and enjoy this garden almost every day of the year.

The problem is that the folks who built this house simply left in place what grew first when the land moved from pasture land to wooded. In our case that is locust, wild cherry and sweet gum. All of those trees have issues. I try to hang onto the wild cherry trees as much as possible for the birds, but they are prone to dozens of issues. If the wind blows hard from the an unusual direction, we'll get cherry tree damage. They grow multiple trunks and then almost immediately those trunks start dying off. I probably don't have describe to you the issues with locust trees and sweet gum trees.

Many of the trees in the shade garden were near death when we bought the house. We have culled and those out and now I am thinking long term of some replacements.

I want something happy in the South, attractive to birds and with a medium to light canopy.

Any suggestions?

Comments (4)