SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eboone_gw

Pear tree grafting, scions

eboone_gw
10 years ago

Hi all,
I am interested in using cleft grafting to rework an old worthless pear tree into something useful. The tree is a >15 y old, >20 ft tall tree that was supposed to be a Sheldon or Chapin pear from Southmeadow Fruitgarden, but I got burned by a couple other trees from them at the same time. It produces a few small hard ugly tasteless fruit yearly, mostly they all drop off by late July. I have never done cleft grafting, but have read some online references and seen a few online videos about it. I plan to cut the branches back to stub and graft it over to at least a couple varieties. I have a few questions:

1. What is the largest size branch I can graft to?

2. Can Asian Pears be grafted successfully onto a Euro type?

3. Do you expect to get a lot of dormant buds which send out shoots and watersprouts that need to be kept pruned off?

4. Do you suggest leaving a 'nurse branch'? I have read varying suggestions.

5. Suggestions for sources for scion wood this late in the season? Anyone willing to trade or send some for costs, postage? I have only one other pear, a Stark Delicious (boy they overuse that variety name), which is pretty good quality. Looking for fireblight resistance, lost a tree in past due to that disease.

Thanks to all for any suggestions!

Ed

This post was edited by eboone on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:19

Comments (7)