SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norman2012_gw

suggestion for a thousand bare roots

norman2012
12 years ago

Several months ago, in consideration of an offer to my family to move to my grandfather in law's farm, I resigned from my job, bought a thousand bare root seedlings, took a college course in pecan management, contacted a half dozen state officials/ employees, had a forester come out and spend a day surveying the farm. I posted here about a couple dozen times and received an immense amount of help (to me it was anyway).About a month ago, my grandfather reneged on his offer.

NOw I have the following bare root saplings purchased. I need to figure out quickly what I need to do with the seedlings. they are 800 native pecans, 50 persimmon, 50 mulberry, 50 american plum and 50 sand plum.

I live in the Oklahoma panhandle in a teacherage. There is no way any of these could ever grow without daily attention here. I dont know if that is possible elsewhere.

What I need are suggestions on how to salvage as much of these trees that I can. I will talk to the School Superintendent about planting as many of them as I can on school property (schools out here have houses called teacherages the rent to teachers for a hundred or two hundred dollars a month as an incentive).

I have relatives in eastern oklahoma (zone 7) and I can plant some trees on their land.

3 questions-

1. can I pot these bare root seedlings, if so how, and where can I get the cheapest pots, and what size will I need?

2. I plan to plant the others in the ground by using a rebar and a 5 pound hammer. What size rebar do I need for these bare root seedlings, and how deep do I need to pound a hole for each respective bare root type?

3. Any other ideas on the situation (other than legal).

Thanks and thanks for everyones help thus far.

Comments (15)