SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_in_sc

Growing out rootstock/seedling peaches

john_in_sc
14 years ago

Hey all,

Been poking through some old references -- and I see Lovell listed as a "leading canning variety" and "Flesh yellow, tender, vinous, very good; pit free"... though the USDA lists it as originally a Drying cultivar -- possibly a parent of Halford (A canning cultivar)

I also see Halford listed as a very good canning variety, as well as Bailey....

Sounds like a couple great experimental peachs for the yard!

But.. I don't see any of these listed in Nurseries for buying trees (Except that Dave Wilson lists Halford)

Googling "Canning rootstock" gives me the idea that many nurseries may be getting "Rootstock" seed from canneries... as I see a whole lot of "Lovell canning rootstock" or "Halford canning rootstock" or such...

Anyone here fooled with growing out peach rootstocks to see what you get?

Reason I ask is that there are several "Wild" peaches growing up in old fields around here -- they look like they died back to the ground and then re-sprouted from the root.... or came from one that did... These are big, healthy trees that look like they bear year after year... frequently having many healthy, flowering and bearing seedlings all around... I found piles and piles of good looking pits (Brown Rot apparently doesn't get them too bad) and even dug up a strong seedling to try out...

What is your experience with these peaches?

Worst comes to worst, I guess always I could top work it with something "Good" if I don't like it....

Thanks

John

Comments (17)