SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

rate and review please make it your friend!! LOL

medontdo
15 years ago

ok so its crazy and some of you don't know that you can use this particular forum to look up if a person has a good history of sending "plants" and/or "seeds". it is important to put this info down. when you go to this forum go to the very bottom of the page and put in the name, then when or if the name comes up you add your post to it, sometimes the name doesn't come up because they are new, if so you have to put it in. cool. :') but if the engine is down we sometimes google the name and its funny to see what will come up!! its also important to put all the info down that needs to be there, leave out the unimportant mean things like name calling, personal info. i'm putting this here because i have come across so many people who have not even known about the forum. please rate everyone!! even if you were wronged!!! you don't want someone else to get wronged!! also, give them at least a month, life happens, i have waited 2 months and got more than i wanted in seeds, she was really sick and couldn't get to her pc.

now for the link.....i know, your saying goood!!!! shut up!!! LOL hope this helps!!! please don't reply that away it'll stay up for everyone ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: rate and review forum

Comments (37)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well personally I don't put a whole lot a stock in the rate and review. I have been on GW for a while and I have a lot of trades under me.
    I don't think I need to be R and R'ed because I am an OLDIE but Goodie...HOWEVER, I do think on some of the newer members who have slighted MANY ppl then yes I agree with the R and R IF you have a HISTORY of taking advantage of other members. THIS is what the R and R was meant to be used for, for those members WHO were basically SCAMMING those of us who truly wanted to share and trade our stuff with others.
    Basically it was just known if you had no Review then you were an okay traded.
    Yes, older members talked to each other BEFORE this R and R forum was set-up so we knew WHO NOT to make a trade with. The R and R just made it easier to pass the word to pass up those traders who were making BAD TRADES.
    Asking everyone to R and R EVERYONE is not necessary for older IN GOOD STANDING members, IF we were NOT good TRADERS we would not STILL be here and this is NEVER mentioned when R and R forum comes up as a topic.

Sorry medo, I just wanted to voice this too, it is just known between older members if you can find a name of a member who has been on GW for years then they are more then an ok trade and go ahead and trade with them.
    MOST of the older members will also TELL you please donÂt bother with listing me on the R and R if you are happy with the trade. HOWEVER, some over exuberant newbie just may do that ANYWAY even thought they were politely asked NOT TOBOTHER because they were so pleased with what they received OR because of the post that KEEPS ASKING them to R and R ALL MEMBERS OF GW.

All members do not need a R and R, only those who dupe othersÂ.
    Just My Opinion, not meaning to tick anyone off OR hurt feelingsÂ

NCGG

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I have to agree with NCGG, I've been around since 2002 and although it is nice that that someone will comment on me. It is not necessary, I believe the R and R was sent up so someone would be alerted if someone has or has not been up to par on trading. I've been around long enough, and if I post a trade and someone wants to trade with me that has stiffed someone else be sure to know I will get a heads up. I will also do the same favor to the new traders when someone is trying to take advantage of them.

Now many times I will trade with a new person, and of course I will then comment if they are a good or bad trader.

I think this would cut down on a lot of duplicate posts.
    I've not received a bad trade in 4 years.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Related Discussions

Rate & Review Forum

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Kathy645, YIKES!...There is a major malfunction at Rate and Review, and I see what you are talking about. In doing a search on my name there it says that there are 86 replies with the last one shown (on the search page) having a date of Feb 14, 10. In actually looking at the thread, there are 77 replies with the last reply being made on Jul 29, 09. (like you said...) So is everything since July 09 gone including my post? Or can other people see up to Feb 2010? Is that why a search of my name does not bring up your name as one I have rated? > Well, it looks like there is a window of time that some reviews got dropped (disappeared) from 'some' threads. In looking on back a few pages, and the dates threads were started and replied to, I really don't 'think' entire threads were lost. In checking my 'saved emails' I have an email from you dated 12-12-09, and on 12-13-09 I replied and thanked you for the kind review you had posted......so your review disappeared sometime on or after 12-13-09. In doing a little looking around there at R and R, and counting some replies, I see that there are also replies missing on member disneynut1977, it shows there are 28 replies, yet when counted there are only 26 there. It looks like they are missing sometime between Mar 4, 09 and Mar 16, 10. Member name Jeanne shows there should be 43 replies yet there are only 31 replies probably missing between Jan 22, 09 and Mar 15, 10 Member poppy_power says 46 follow-ups) yet there are only 29..probably missing between May 8, 09 and Mar 15, 10 Member name kmpsmom shows 43 replies yet there are only 40...probably missing between Mar 5, 09 and Mar 11, 10 Member name Liznbeatle shows 17 replies, yet there are only 14 dirt_under_my_nails-(reviews missing )shows last post is Dec 20, 09, yet the last one in the thread is Jul 4, 09 I will contact GW (via the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page) and link to this thread. Hopefully the lost reviews can be found. Hopefully it won't be like finding a needle in a haystack for the tech folks. Sue...loquacious as usual.
    ...See More

Suggestion-Don't forget the new Rate and Review forum

Q

Comments (24)
    Okay. I put in her name in the top search box, but I got every trade and other message out there for her on GW. So maybe she doesn't have a rate and review yet. I just wish they had it like the old forum where the rate & review itself had a search box. I put other people's names in there, along with "rate & review," and I still got all kinds of other posts, messages, etc. Thanks for your help, though. I figured I was doing something wrong. I actually have a link on my Ideabook for my rate & review page. Makes it easier for people to find me. Just click and you're there to review me. :)
    ...See More

My son says my friends here are geniuses! lol

Q

Comments (11)
    I tried the deveils food and it had little chips of chocolate in the mix. It was good but needed the ice cream I served on top of it. Next time I think I will sprinkle a little Dutch cocoa into the mix to make it a darker chocolate. It baked into a small, moist milk chocolate cake.
    ...See More

Those Internet recipe reviews........LOL

Q

Comments (12)
    Tobygirl, I haven't seen that (yet) in recipe reviews, but I've seen it on Amazon. What are these people thinking?? The other kind of Amazon reviewers that drive me nuts are the ones who give a poor rating to a product because it didn't arrive by a certain date, or because they made a mistake and ordered the wrong thing, or because of something that had nothing to do with the quality and usability of the product. My "favorite" was someone who ordered a lens that didn't fit his camera. It wasn't made for his camera, and he admitted that, but he still gave it only a 1-star rating because he couldn't use it.
    ...See More
  • racetowin
    15 years ago

I agree with you 2.....History proves the worth of each person, personally......
    Some people need attention.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i agree on alot of points made, however if we don't use this system set up for our advantage what is the use?? and as to your comment "racetowin"
    "some people need attention" exactly what do you mean?
    i do agree that history proves the worth of each person, so post it under their name!!
    if all of the posts are there, you can get an idea of the person, then you can make up your own mind whether to trade with them or not. if you chose not to use it then don't, but we are here to help these newbies, and that's the reason for the post. they don't know to ask someone who's been here for 3 or 4 years, hey is so and so a good trader or not.
    i didn't, i was however, lucky enough to eventually fall into the hands of you barb, and you helped me tremendously, and angie, and sue, i'm not so sure a very shy person will know to ask you or sue or angie or even kathy. my point is the r and r is there, its for us to use, that's what the system is for. some people who have been on here awhile were surprised to hear of it. when i mentioned when the trade was done i'd left the possitive review.
    its like a refference. to some people sending out stamps is like money! so i can understand. put yourselves in a poorer person's place and think about that. ~Medo

who's not hurt feelings, or needing attntion. but would like info on other people who i might be trading with.

• andrea81
    15 years ago

I think R & R is very useful, I just simply forget the GW names of the ppl I trade with or delete their email before rating. I have had wonderful trades through the years and haven't reviewed most of them because of that. I am going to try to start doing better ;)

Andrea

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

I think it is a very good thing and should reflect all the good along with the bad.

I leave a review (or try to remember to) and ask that those trading with me, or receiving plants or seeds for postage to post that the plants or seeds were received. It is an easy way for me to keep track that folks have received their end from me. I get a lot of emails and it is easy to overlook an email acknowledging that something was received.

I've been sending out a few (not a ton) of plants for postage. I ask those members to note that on the review, so it is documented that I am not gonna just collect someone's postage money and disapppear...as has happened to some.

If I happen to have a huge trade of 15-20 plants and maybe $9 or so in postage, I don't want to be concerned about getting a good trade in return.

There are numerous members who have been here for years...and they have bad reviews...and yet somehow they manage to sucker innocent folks into trading with them. My guess is that those bad traders do not post to a thread, which is why I always try and ask that members post to my trade thread, but can additionally email
    me then.
    I think there are numerous members, both new and old who either don't know there is a Rate and Review Forum, don't think to check it before trading, and don't think to leave a review. Posting about it, makes more members aware it is there.

The link can be found by clicking on Forums in the green banner at the top of any page. Choose Garden Forums in the drop down box. Rate and Review Exchanges is listed at the bottom of the page, where all the garden forums are in alphabetical order.

Sue...who knows a lot of folks know there is such a forum, but just don't know how to get there.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Well, being a newbie and all, I thought I'd chime in and give my two cents.... or maybe I just can't keep my mouth shut, whichever... LOL

I am pleased to know I can go review a member that may have been here for a long time and maybe almost everyone else knows they're a great trader, but me. I'm sending out packages that do cost me money, time and trouble and it's just reassuring to know that others have had good experiences. I really want to know if the person I'm trading with has never completed a successful and happy trade with someone else before as well. It doesn't mean that just because they're a newbie that I wouldn't want to trade with them, though, I just might start off smaller smaller than shipping plants and cuttings first.

It reassures me a lot to see all the great feedback that other members have and that way I know I can trust the whole system even if I'm not gonna trade with the members who's reviews I'm lurking and reading about.

I also like to see my own feedback, as silly as that might sound. I'm so new that I really don't know that others are happy with my trades unless I see their posts on R&R... so, this is a great "training" tool for me to see what people like about my trades. I also read other threads of those I'm not trading with just so I can get a feel for what people expect and want out of trades. I've traded for less than 2 weeks, so all this information is a VERY helpful resource for me!

~Angela

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

The only thing that kinda irks me is when people beg you to leave a rate and review. Than they dont do it for you. What is that all about. I dont have a huge R&R but I have been doing this for a year now. And have lots of email trades in my GW Folder and thanks to my god above with no bad trades. That I know of. Knock on wood....I would hope that if someone is not happy with my trade they would email me and let me know. This way I can make them happy. That is what we are here for to save money and help fellow gardeners and meet each other. I am thankful and grateful for the gardeners I have met here and have shared their knowledge with this very new gardener. I hope to help other new gardeners as it has been passed to me.... I have saved all emails since the day I started in a folder. Just the other day was going through it and got a big smile from all thye people who helped me last fall get started. Their really are great people here. And I just met a great newbie actually a couple.....Barb

• giverny4me
    15 years ago

About a year or so ago I started noticing a particular person requested people post positive things about her... I dont like it myself I think postive things should be posted unsolicted. I agree with racetowin.

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

goodness grief!!! man!! you should ONLY post good if they did good!! bad if they did bad and exactly what the bad was, plants if it was plant trade, and seeds if it was a seed trade. post ONLY the facts!! and that's it!! nothing else!! with alot of the newbies that are coming in and some of them sighning up for a few days just to get the sasbe's or otherwise, sometimes i worry, and with tabor just getting into seed trading, i try to look out for him. i don't mind trading with a newbie, i just ask them to send first. i tell them why but i also tell them that i would be very glad to leave them a rate on the rate and review :') ~Medo

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi! I think that the Rate and Review forum is very helpful for both good and bad trades.
    Also, I'd like to point out that some Round Robins will only let you participate if you have a certain number of good ratings. It is like having a good reference.
    Thanks for the post Michele!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

your very much welcome!! i'm glad some people do appreciate it. :') **big grinn** hopefully more will start to use it :') ~Medo

• chrizty
    15 years ago

there are some members who will not trade unless a person has good reviews because they have got burned to many times.[i learned this when i was new n that was only back in may this year.] so i always post a review,:) i dont always check it before a trade but i post after.
    when i trade,after the trade ill tell them i left them a good review, if they ask what it is i tell them, i also tell them not all members post in it n they dont have to.
    as for the " History proves the worth of each person" sorry barb, i dont agree with that, there are just as many new members as old when it comes to good trades. n who's to know that if we dont put it out there?

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

very good point!! i know some people that way. that's why i think its so important to use it and to keep this link where others can see it and say ahhhh whats this?? hmmmm maybe i ought to start using this!!

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Hi Michele, I have to agree with you also on this one. I myself, have a low review rate, BUT have had numerous big trades in the amount of time that I have been here. You know yourself Michele what my trades are like and if I had taken the time to check on some of the "dead beat" traders that I have been involved with, then I would have done things different. Just recently, I had yet another bad experience with a Flat Rate box of Water Plants and I didn't get the postage or so much as even an email to let me know that they had arrived, or return my emails when I inquired about them. I should have checked the R and R first, but the person seemed to be very nice and was a Newbie of course, so I sent the box out to them. That will not happen again though. I will take the time to check the R and R from now on. Jackie

• pumkingal
    15 years ago

Hi all and very good points all, I have been a newbie, and at first did not know about rate and review, then I got a little wiser, but I have done alot of big trades and with only a few responding in the rate and review forum, it would just be nice is all for others to see what I have traded, I love being a garden elf, and pick up newbies along the way, I just love seeds, and the people I have met are just wonderful, a helpful positive is their name with gardenweb name in a trade so you can keep track, happy fall all-Lisa

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

As a newbie myself, I found the R & R comforting, as a sort of checks and balance system. I was very nervous about sending out postage into the great unknown and it made the whole thing feel safer. I also love getting a good review, because it lets me know I did a good job on my end. I post a review when I have been impressed by someone and want others to know they should take the risk and maybe make a friend. I haven't had to post a negative review yet and would certainly try emailing and working it out before ruining someones rep.

• velsgarden
    15 years ago

I wish I had remembered the rating was there.Im still waiting on seeds from two people.They want even answer my emails.Now Im weary of even trading here.

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Velsgarden,
    So sorry to hear that. Did they agree to send you something? Give them a while sometimes life does get in the way. Did you politely ask if they received your email. Sometimes they do end up in the spam mail. Keep trying.....I am sure things will work out great. Been here a while and have had no problems a few in the spam mail though. Make sure your chek your spam folder....There are Great people here...... Barb

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is true!! i was trying to get ahold of barb for a while, come to findout, my email was in her spam file (so she say's *big onery grinn*), LOL i get so much spam i don't check it anymore, its nothing to get 300 befor 10 am. from all the sites i USED to visit. i like to keep trying, and i give at least 1 month, BUT that's just me, LOL ~medo

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

One more thing I forgot.. Lol If you ask for a rate and review and receive it. Dont forget the other person. Otherwise it makes you look like your just worried about your reputation and no one else. I do have a pet peave with this. I think it is wrong....... Barb

• garden4god
    15 years ago

r&r is my best friend.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

medo....I have to agree with you 100%....just because someone is an oldie does not make them a goodie....I found out the hard way! That doesnt go to say that the rest arent, I'm just saying some are not what they claim to be. Also I'm not the first one to post on the rate and review....took me awhile,because I did'nt find them I did'nt post or found it itimidating or did'nt want to say anything negative. I promise to do better in the future. It really does help. I wish I could remember all the great people who have traded with me so that I could give them positive feedback.
    Thanks Medo.....you go girl!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

You know...some older folks come on under several different screen names. I would think there might be a reason for that......I would have to agree...just because you are an oldie...doesn't mean you are a goodie.
    Even though I've met several very awesome ladies here....and have no complaints, I just thought i'd add my opinion on that.
    Just because you are new doesn't make you a bad trader...just like being an older member doesn't mean you are an great trader.

I think the r&r forum is a wonderful tool!!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you very much ladies!! :') i don't think it has anything to do with needing attention, or any of that. of course i kid with angie and said, "oh no i better get busy!! your catching up!!" LOL but she's just the sweetest! i gaurantee that woman has more trades under her belt than me anyday!! she has a heart of gold!! meaning she helps out alot!! and all the trading too!! so if everyone did the rates man!! LOL
    and yes, we have a few members who have changed their names over and over rather than clean up their act.
    that's why we need to use this system!! to be aware of this, also be aware of the email where things are coming from, do a little snooping once in a while if your getting bad trades. don't be afraid to do that. keep good records of the email addy's they use, all of them. their gw name. mailing addy. any pertinant info. i'm learning to do this. sometimes one person will email me from 3 different emails. i don't know if it makes a diff or not, but one guy was caught because he used the same email when he changed his gw name. well when he emailed me i was thinking this is the guy who everyone is looking for. but the rbb already busted him.!! LOL i think the same way!!
    ~Medo

• srenre
    15 years ago

I don't get it but I like it.

I scroll to the bottom and put in a name. It shows me all the posts that person has made in the forum. I put in my name it shows all my posts. I put in the person I want to "R & R" and I see all thiers.

Now I am a little new here (not super new) but I have heard of this before. I still don't see HOW TO USE IT!

A person I recentley traded with has told me he would leave me a rating. I would love to do the same in return!

What am I missing?

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you go to the bottom and enter the name of the person you traded with and push enter. that should bring up thier name. when it does, you should be able to post a good or bad review. in this case it should be about garden4god, you leave your post, now you also can read the posts that others leave about people. good or bad. make your decision. some are good/some are bad. some just put it in there just to be mean. there are a select few who do the "good" trades and then go back to bad trades again, sucks you can see it for yourself. and then you see the ones who do good on seeds only but don't do good on plant trades. so always check the rate and review. we have learned that just because they have the so and soo +++ trader doesn't mean they are good. it may mean they are only good in that particular area. seeds, or plants, or etc. IMHO ~Medo who's long winded today from lack of SLEEP!!! YET AGAIN

15 years ago

What am I missing?
    First you must go to the Rate and Review Forum

You can find it by going to the top of any page here, and hovering your cursor over Forums at the bottom of the green banner. There will be a drop down box. Choose Garden Forums...then scroll to the bottom of the page where all forums are in alphabetical order.

After you once get there, you follow the instructions for the Forum...they are posted at the top of the forum. Go to the search box found just below the list of threads, and put in the exact member name. If a review thread has been started, it will bring it up. You can then see who has said what for that member...much like the Feedback on an ebay member.

You can then make a decision as to whether or not you want to trade with the member. If there is no review thread, the member is either quite new, has not done much trading in a while (forum was started in Nov 2006), or they have had the misfortune to have traded with folks who either do not know about the Rate and Review Forum, or those who do not believe in posting to it, or members who just plain forgot.

If you are left wondering about the member, you can feel free to email me, or any others who are quite active here...maybe agirlsgirl, or medontdo.

Once your trade is complete, then you do the search thing there and post to an existing review thread for the member, and if there is not one started, you are to start it, being sure to list the member name exactly as it is spelled in the Subject of Posting line.

You can then leave a review, stating if it was a plant or seed trade, and just how it went.

Whew...quite loquacious, wasn't I?

Sue...resident busy body

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    15 years ago

So what do you do if you can't find the person in the reviews? After reading this post I thought I should do reviews for those that sent me seeds. However, one person was not listed at all. Do I just start one with her profile name?

Thanks,

Jim

15 years ago

However, one person was not listed at all. Do I just start one with her profile name?
    Yes.

Sue

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    15 years ago

ok, thanks Sue,

Jim

• alwaysagarden
    15 years ago

Found some information here that may help me with my current trade situation. Just because a gardener has a lot of great comments from traders on the rate and review forum doesn't mean that all trades through that gardener will go well (unfortunately).

Cindy

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

I want to say how the R R Forum helped me just last week. I was expecting a return on a trade that was way overdue. I sent a couple of emails and got nothing back from the person who was supposed to be sending me their half of the trade.
    Well... being a human being, I began to get a little annoyed and upset and feeling like I was duped. I checked the person's profile to find out that all other trade feedback was very positive.
    So that made me start to think... maybe something happened to the person and they are not well enough to send it out. Sure enough, I then checked a different forum and found a message about this person having some health problems but hoping to get trades back out in the near future.
    Had I not checked the R R Forum I probably would have just stayed mad.
    I figure if the Forum helped me get over myself, maybe it might be doing something similar for others.
    Thanks for the Forum and, as always, thanks to all the really wonderful people here on gardenweb.
    Peace
    George

• chrmann
    15 years ago

I've been trading for quite a number of years here on GardenWeb. For years, I was wishing for a rate and review forumn. I have had lots of good trades but have also had several trades with Gardenwebers that were bad.This forumn would have helped me alot! I do not trade as often now as I once did because my flower beds are full to the brim. But, I still check in to see if there is something I would like to have and if somebody wants something I have. Anyway, glad to know we have this forumn to rate the people we trade with. Although, I forget to rate people until I have thrown out our trade info. I guess it's because I'm not used to having the rate forumn. Went to many years with no way to rate trades. No bad trades so far this year!!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindy, that's what we're trying to get all this rate and review about, it helps if people put in about if it was a seed trade or a plant trade, some people are great at seed trades and terrible at plant trades, they just get overwhelmed. or...they just don't know how to do them.
    i hope all does turn out well. if not, please do note about it. :')
    George, this is true, and especially with the flu and such season!! we all need to make sure that the other person is ok befor jumping to conclusions, i'm so glad you didn't!! that is so awesome!! i'm also so glad you decided to check to see if they were posting in other places first befor getting upset!! yes i am reitterating!! LOL hoping that if a newbie see's it then maybe they will recheck befor leaving a bad review. LOL
    i have waited a while befor leaving a bad review, then i did, and recanted, becuase lo and behold the dang seeds showed up the very next day, i felt so bad, so i emailed the "powers that be" and asked them to take the post off, they did. that was nice of them.
    Chrm i don't know how they did it in the "old" days, but i tell ya, i love the rate and review, i always check it, then read every one of them, then of course make up my own mind, LOL
    i always say, "after our trade, i'll leave you a rate" that way they know for sure that there will be a rate. Hee Hee!!
    i'm thinking about leaving a link to my rate on the bottom of my email. then maybe people will think more, i have tons of seed rates, i want the plant ones, ya know! i mean people always say i'm a good seed trader. i want to be a good plant trader too. LOL **grinn**
    ~Medo

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

My poor generous traders, i have failed them in this R&R thing! Thanks for posting the how to go about posting reviews.

question: If I was too dumb to pick such a long GW name, is it too late to change it for something as slick as 007 or such, without seeming to be trying to hide a bad rating,as mentioned in a previous post?

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

actually yours is pretty great!! and very easy to remember!! alot of people have something that is really hard to remember or tricky things in there, but not yours. :')
    people have done that and added something like why they did it, but i wouldn't if i was you, yours is just way too awesome!! ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES