SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranialgirl

Can you identify this disease on cucumbers and other vines

cranialgirl
14 years ago

I posted this in the gallery but it seems not a lot of activity over there. if anyone would like to look at the pic, it is over there under "cucumber and other vining insect/disease?" I hope someone can help. It is spreading all over the cucumbers and to other vining plants.

We put in a raised beds this year, ph good in dirt, fertility tested good. I grew plants from seeds. Cucumbers have whatever this is,the worst, then the squash, the watermelons and the pumpkins. I have been to neighboring gardens and to the local worm's way. I have also tried lookoing at other people's problem pics.

First I tried cutting off all infected leaves and spraying with Garden Safe fungicide 3. It was back in 2 days. It is on the leaves, stems and fruit.It will not rub off the leaves like a fungus, but you can scrape it off the stem and it seems like it is thick and yellow.

The leaves are being shredded by something, it looks like caterpillar damage but I am out there a lot and not one caterpillar. I have treated for slugs repeatedly.

We have had a huge amount of rain almost every day for about 2 1/2 weeks. We used pine needles for mulch. the pumpkins and watermelon has some compost around them since planting. Everything was fertilized once with fish and seaweed.

When I showeed it to the worm's way guy, he said it looked like leaf damage from something and he said aphids because there were a couple by chance on that leaf. there are a few aphids in the garden but not on most of the affected leaves. Tonight I sprayed an organic insecticide, but there aren't hardly any insects.

I am really stumped, and am getting very worried that there isn't going to be any harvest from this garden. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!