SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim5k

Vegetable seedlings stunted and bolting. What went wrong?

Jim5k
9 years ago

I've successfully started vegetable from seeds before, but this year I had a problem. All the seedlings either bolted or stopped growing. See posted photos. The last time I started lettuce in flats it grew like a weed (I was even harvesting it before putting it in the garden).

CONTAINERS: Flats and large plastic pots.

SOIL: Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil that's been in the garage for a few years. I used it straight (100%) in the flats and I mixed it with Miracle-Gro Garden Soil in the large pots.

ENVIRONMENT: I think I sewed them in mid-April. They were outside 98% of the time (just moving them inside the garage on cold nights). Sun from morning to mid afternoon.

SEEDS: Burpee. Two kinds of Meclun (each with 5 or 6 different plants) and Bush Champion Cucumbers. I've used all of these before.

RESULTS: Nothing worked. All seedlings were stunted or have started bolting when they were just an inch or two high. The cucumbers should be huge by now, but they stopped growing. I even added a healthy tomato plant (purchased from a garden center) to one of the large pots and that isn't doing well either. The rest of the tomato plants in the garden are doing great. Also, I put one tomato plant in another pot with some cheap topsoil added to whatever was already in there and it looks much better than the one in the Miracle-Gro pot (see photos of white pot).

I'm not a super serious gardener, but I've never had this problem before. Does anyone have any idea what went wrong? The only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with the old Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil. I thought I used that last year, but I could be wrong. Can that go bad?

Comments (14)