SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmiah22

Tomato's dying -- HELP!

jmiah22
13 years ago

I am getting very discouraged with my garden this year. This is the first year I have had sole responsibility for a garden and it seems I am having nothing but problems.

My tomato plants are dying one by one and I have no idea why. Somebody thought maybe blight and suggested copper spray. I have used that several times and they are still withering up and dying. One day they look fine and are apparently healthy, the next a little piece will be wilted near the top, then it progresses from there. I have had a few plants apparently recover (they don't look 100% but they look better than they did. Two varieties seem to be affected, my Rutgers and Early girl plants. Those are the only two varieties that I have had problems with wilting. I am attaching pictures. There appears to be no warning. No yellow or brown leaves, no leaf drop nothing.

My other problem I think I have solved with my cucumbers wilting. Apparently the cucumber beetles have been feasting and infecting them with bacterial wilt. I am still struggling with that.

This is my worst plant now. Ironically this is one of the ones that wilted first, appeared to recover now looks worse than ever.

I am getting very discouraged with my garden this year. This is the first year I have had sole responsibility for a garden and it seems I am having nothing but problems.

My tomato plants are dying one by one and I have no idea why. Somebody thought maybe blight and suggested copper spray. I have used that several times and they are still withering up and dying. One day they look fine and are apparently healthy, the next a little piece will be wilted near the top, then it progresses from there. I have had a few plants apparently recover (they don't look 100% but they look better than they did. Two varieties seem to be affected, my Rutgers and Early girl plants. Those are the only two varieties that I have had problems with wilting. I am attaching pictures. There appears to be no warning. No yellow or brown leaves, no leaf drop nothing.

My other problem I think I have solved with my cucumbers wilting. Apparently the cucumber beetles have been feasting and infecting them with bacterial wilt. I am still struggling with that.

This is my worst plant now. Ironically this is one of the ones that wilted first, appeared to recover now looks worse than ever.

{{gwi:76002}}

{{gwi:76003}}

{{gwi:76004}}

What they look like when they start to wilt

{{gwi:76005}}

One newly wilted plant the stem looks like this, but it is the only one that looks like this:

{{gwi:76006}}

Some of the other apparently healthy plants a few lower leaves are curled like this:

{{gwi:76007}}

A little background...this is a first year garden in this spot. It was formerly just a patch of grass. The garden was kind of a last minute thing and was not even tilled until the week before Memorial day. So nothing was added to amend the soil etc.

Comments (5)