SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_ny

Anyone willing to send me some pear scions?

sam_ny
12 years ago

Hello all,

I'm trying my hand at fruit tree grafting this year. Mostly apples, but I also ordered a half dozen pear root stocks, thinking I'd get some scions from a particular friend. Turns out the timing might not work for the friend, but I'm still going to have those root stocks.

I was wondering if someone out there would be willing to cut me some pear scions and mail them to me. Ideally, I'm looking for something hardy enough for Upstate NY (zone 5). I know there's a world of pears out there, but I'm mostly familiar with the supermarket varieties. We eat a lot of Anjou, Comice, and Bartlett in our house, with a Seckel or Clapp thrown in now and then. Red Crimsons sometimes. Not big Bosc fans, but could be convinced if someone insists giving them a try.

That's all just to give an idea of our tastes--if there's some great heirloom variety that I should try, I'm definitely game. I'm not sure what the patent situation is with the ones I mention above anyway.

Anyway, beggers can't be choosers, right? If there's something you like, have had success with, and wouldn't mind sending me, I'd be grateful.

I could arrange for a postage paid envelope if need be.

Thanks!

Sam

Comments (12)