SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

Opal - my new favorite apple

tcstoehr
13 years ago

I dropped in at a local produce outlet in Oregon City (Spicer's) yesterday and noticed a bin of yellow apples labeled "Opal" priced at $1.29 per pound. They had an occasional orange blush and russeting around the stem. They seemed very hard and dense, which is what made me decide to try them. I should have just eaten one on the spot as this store's policy allows you to try apples before buying but I just put 3 in a bag and went about my business. When I got in my car I took a bite and immediately went back for a dozen more before leaving.

I don't like sweet apples like Hudson's Golden Gem but prefer the sweet-tart varieties, but I hesitate to use the word "tart" for this apple. I'd say this was a sweet-tart apple with emphasis on the sweet, as well as some spiciness. The texture is wonderful, hard but crisp and juicy. The brix I have read is 15-18. I would compare the experience of eating these apples to that of Flavor Grenade Pluots fresh off my tree.

I suspect this is a late season apple with good storage potential, but I'm just guessing. We've had an excellent local crop of Fujis this year which I've been enjoying, but I'm switching to Opals as long as this quality is available.

I wish I could grow a tree but it looks like they're only being grown in Washington State and not available from retail nurseries.

Comments (4)