SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
captaininsano

insufficient chill

I am new to growing berries, grapes etc., I have chosen low chill varieties that are rated to my zone 9b. They have made it through the intense summer heat, but now during winter I do not think this year they will receive enough chill. It has been very a very mild winter, most days in the high 60's to high 70's night time low to mid 40's only 3 days dipped under 32. If I am correct chill is between 45 and 32 degrees and negative chill occurs when the temp is over 45 and under 32, take the last 24 hours for example 10 hours under 45, and 14 hours above nothing below 32, that would be no chill correct? It has been the same story all Winter. This 24 hours however, I do not believe will effect my plants as I think they have already broken any dormancy they were in, grapes never fully dropped their leaves, and blackberries did not drop any, they did stop growing however and I have heard that is dormancy also, so I don't know, but they are budding new leaves. I have chosen varieties that are in the 150 to 300 chill range, but I don't think we have received that this year, does this mean no fruit? I have also heard that insufficient chill doesn't always mean no fruit, but that it will shorten the plants usefulness and life. Do I have any hope for fruit this year? I have Kiowa, Osage, Ouachita, and Rosborough Blackberry and Red Flame, Thompson, and Concord grapes. Thanks.

Comments (16)