SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

cucumbers & peppers; fruiting to early?

mandolls
12 years ago

I am wondering if it was a mistake to let my cucumbers and peppers begin developing fruit so quickly. My cucumbers were about 7 weeks old when I planted them out May 25th. They were 6-10 inches tall and many had flowers on them. They are now only about twice that height 3 weeks later, but almost everyone of them has one or two cucumbers developing (3-5" long). The plants do look a little stressed.

Should I just nip those off so that the plants will grow more? Its hard to do, but I would rather have long term healthy plants.

My peppers, were 12 weeks old, 8-10" tall when I planted them out, most of them already developing peppers. They didnt go out until June 4th, so its only been 2 weeks in the ground, but they are making peppers like crazy, but not developing much height. I cant seem to bring myself to nip off all those little peppers. The plants look super healthy, just small.

How would you handle this?

Last year was my first time to grow either of these from seed. The seedlings were much smaller and leggier due to inadequate lighting indoors. They did a lot more growing before they started to produce any flowers or fruit. But I cant really compare the two years, because the plants this year are so much bigger and healthier.

Comments (3)