SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck60

Mulberry taste?

chuck60
13 years ago

There are a few threads going about different mulberries, but I didn't want to hijack one of those for this.

The only mulberries I've ever eaten were from yard trees in the small East Tennessee towns I grew up in. They were so bland that none of us kids cared for them, even though we were known to eat many other wild fruits, some of which were probably poisonous. After following some of the threads here on mulberries, I have read descriptions of some mulberries as being delicious, scrumptious, etc. The best tasting seem to be the Black Mulberries that wouldn't grow here in Missouri anyway, but I do wonder if they are really all that good. Do they compare with the bramble fruit they look like? Some are said to have some acidity to balance the sweetness, and that appeals to me. I'm always looking for something new to kill, so is it likely I would be happy with an Illinois Everbearing or one of the other varieties that might grow here, in the unlikely event I managed to get it to the fruit-bearing stage?

I'm not really all that pessimistic, but lately I find optimism easier to manage if I balance it with a touch of fatalism. As mulberries are also touted as good "protection" for other fruits, it also seems that even if I don't care for the fruit the birds might like it better than my peaches and apples.

Chuck

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus