SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

My latest cucumber beetle traps

anney
15 years ago

Well, this year I decided to try clove oil as an attractant for female cucmber beetles.

I needed five traps, so I used five Sobe tea glass bottles as my clove oil & Sevin containers. You can't use plastic with clove oil -- it melts plastic!

I carefully measured the amount of water one bottle would hold when laid on its side and multiplied by five. It ended up being a little over three cups of water. I mixed that water with the recommended amount of liquid Sevin concentrate and added about a half teaspoon of clove oil per bottle or 2 & 1/2 teaspoons total.

Then I equally apportioned this poison stew among the five bottles.

In the garden I had five areas I think the cuke beetles will be attracted to (melons, squash, & cukes) and that's where I laid a bottle on its side with the mixture in it. I made sure the open mouth of the bottle was under a large leaf to slow evaporation and keep out the rain.

Eugenol oil attracts female cucumber beetles, and clove & allspice oils are comprised of about 90% of this attractant. These oils don't attract any other insect, so it's a safe bait.

The same kind of trap can be devised using tayuya powder (available over the internet), which attracts male & female cucumber beetles and no other insects.

Comments (14)