SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Cucumber Beetle Bait Traps - Pics

anney
16 years ago

Well, I've planted squash and millet as bait traps for cucumber beetles that covered my melon plants last year, but this morning I saw a striped cuke beetle and a spotted one on my lush melon growth. So it was time.

Here are the cucumber beetle bait traps that I found worked so well last summer. The bait/attractant is tayuya (also spelled taiuia) root powder, which is wildly attractive to cucurbit beetles. It is discussed here. I bought the tayuya root powder because it was said to be so attractive to them.

Please note that some people have found clove oil to work very well as a cucumber beetle attractant, too, when mixed with Sevin Liquid.

Sorry for the blurry pictures --I should have used the automatic setting instead of the close-up setting on a couple of the shots.

First, the ingredients. Eight 16-oz styrofoam cups. Eight plastic-bag ties. Tayuya root powder that I ordered on-line. Sevin liquid concentrate. Make a hole on the side of each cup at the top and attach a tie, leaving enough to attach to your melon trellis.

{{gwi:65822}}

Then a scoop of tayuya root powder in each cup, about a tablespoon.

{{gwi:65823}}

Dilute the Sevin per instructions. I had some already prepared in a spray bottle.

{{gwi:65824}}

Add enough of the Sevin liquid mixture to the tayuya powder to make a gravy about 1/4-1/2" deep. Liquid enough that it stirs easily and doesn't leave furrows in the mixture but thick enough that cucumber beetles can walk and feast on it. I used a throw-away plastic stirrer to mix the two ingredients.

All eight cups are ready with their poison dessert that only cucumber beetles are attracted to.

{{gwi:65825}}

Hung on my melon trellis at varying heights.

{{gwi:65826}}

I'll check it later today to see if any beetles have died in it -- they did last year by the dozens. But I suppose they could eat some of it and fly away before dying. I'm not entirely happy with the open cups since rain will dilute the mixture, but I want the attractant to disperse freely into the air. I guess I need some little waterproof umbrellas with handles that I can stick down into the mixture!

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Comments (21)