SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeliz

my duck ia attacking the other duck!

beeliz
17 years ago

Hi all,I need advice...FAST....I've had 2 male ducks since the spring,now they're 1 year old. Thet were always inseperable...until today! The dark duck is chasing and pulling feathers out of his friend! I don't kmow what to do. The one being picked on isn't defending himself or anything...now he looks as if he's limping from being chased . I really need help PlEASE!

Comments (23)

• beeliz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi!
    I've seperated them for the day..I have to go out now and put them back together. They hopefully will be ok tonight in their house! Glad to hear this is normal though,it just came out of nowhere. I'll let you know what happens..do I need to get 2 females now??

• Related Discussions

Laying duck(s)

Q

Comments (8)
    Update...the female runner was taken by a coyote about 3 weeks ago. My husband has finally fenced the yard! Now down to the male Indian Runner and the female Rouen (who is setting on a clutch of 17 eggs in a new and safer spot) The eggs I brought in to incubate was doing great at 16 days until my pre-school moved the heat lamp. Sadly, I think they all died. It was 110F and I see no more movement or much progress (but can still see the blood veins)
    ...See More

today when I went out to check on my duck!!!!!.............

Q

Comments (2)
    Genny, I'm so sorry this happened, poor little Troy, I'm so glad she will be ok, sounds like your making some good changes for her. I have some duck eggs in the bator and will be a new duck mom soon. I have a lot to learn. Hope someone with experience can give you some insight. Take care, Sheila
    ...See More

My duck has a broken Leg

Q

Comments (8)
    My duck was attacked by a bobcat and it took a chunk out of her butt but thankfully she is still alive thanks to our great yellow lab that chased off the bobcat... she is healing and continues to get better everyday I seem to think she has a broken leg bc she will not step on it and she drags it but she can move it so I know she can not be paralyed on that side... I was wondering if should just leave it be or is there anything I can really do about it?
    ...See More

new duck eggs, old duck question

Q

Comments (4)
    They do use lead, regardless of laws. Rehabbers deal with this regularly. But Wood ducks are not divers or grazers (like Canada geese), so not sure from what source the lead would come. Possible she was poisoned? Or shot, and made it back to the nest? I don't think sparrows would/could kill even a little duck like a Wood duck. Sad to find that. Dirtgirl, may I make a suggestion, though? I say this every spring and summer, and people hate me for it, but I know you will not. I do not think it's ever a good idea to check bird nests that are accessible to predators, or that do not need to be maintained (like bluebirds). I know there was no indication of traumatic injury (like you would with a raccoon attack), but visiting nests regularly leaves a scent trail for mammal predators (like raccoons and even squirrels) and crows watch and figure out something is doing in there. And I am not at all suggesting that's what happened, but you know your stuff, and I know people will probably follow your example more than mine : ) Anyway, happy spring, and good luck with the W. ducks this year.
    ...See More
  • GennyM
    17 years ago

You could get 2 females if you want to. You don't have to, but it would probably make your boys happier. I would get 4 girls if you possibly can. That way the boys won't be following the same 2 girls around ALL the time. It's so much stress on the girls when the boys are with them 24/7! :)

If you don't want babies then you can just pick the eggs up as they lay them and throw them away. I think some people eat their ducks' eggs here, but I always just pick them up and throw them away. That way if you don't want any babies you can just pick the eggs up. The baby doesn't start to grow until the mother duck has laid all of the eggs she is going to lay anyways, and she starts sitting on them.

I hope your 2 boys get along better when you put them back together!
    Genny

• beeliz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok..bad news...I went to let the boys out this morning and Bill(the one being picked on) has bald patches! I can't stand this! I've seperated them again,for the day,I just have nowhere to put the bully at night now. ARGH!
    I've contacted the girl who I got them from,hoping she can help in some way,but she hasn't returned my call yet. Can a duck kill another duck like this?

• GennyM
    17 years ago

Hi! Sorry to hear the bad news! I've never heard of a duck killing another one, but I guess it is possible.

My male ducks got in a fight one time and one of them started bleeding, not real bad, but still...he was bleeding.

I don't understand why your 2 are fighting after getting along so well for so long. Maybe try getting some girls. It might calm them down some.

I really don't know anything else to do about it, you've already separated them which is good for now.

Did you say you put them back together today, or have you not put them back together since the first fight they had? I would let them see each other, and I would watch them for a while. If they got in another fight then I would separate them, but if they get along then you could leave them together.

Please let me know how they do, and Good Luck :)

• beeliz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi again!
    ok, yesturday I let him back in with the other,and he was more violent than ever! I brought the attacker to a friend's hobby farm. She has LOTS of duck's ,geese ect..hope he'll be happy there and find himself a girl! It was so sad to do.
    In 1 hour I'm going to get another pekin FEMALE! 2 years old and needs a home. Hopefully the 2 will be ok,I'm sure they will as I do know pekins are so docile. I had to do this fast cause I don't want Bill to be sad...I think he'll do great with a female friend!
    wheeeew...I'm exhausted! :)

• GennyM
    17 years ago

AAAWWW!! I wish you could have kept him, but I think you did the right thing for both ducks. At least he is happy and still can be around other ducks and you know he has a good home with your friend.

I know I bet it was hard to do though. I know how you feel. I had a Bloodhound dog that I just loved she was the cutest dog I've ever seen and she was precious. i also had a duck named Topaz that I loved so so much. She was one of my favorite ducks I've had ever! Topaz my duck got in the fence with Annabelle my bloodhound, and Annabelle killed her. I wasn't out there when it happened and it was so hard to deal with. I had to make a decision whether to keep Annabelle and just hope it wouldn't happen to another duck, or find Annabelle a new home. As hard as it was to give Anna away I decided it would be the best thing to do. My mom's good friend has a son that wanted a bloodhound to have as a pet and to carry places with him, so we gave Anna to them. It was so so hard, but I didn't want another duck to get killed, and I knew little Anna would be happy with them, because they're nice people.

I still get to go see Anna when ever I want to, but I still really miss her so much! She was so special. So, I know how you feel about your duck and having to give him away.

Here is a picture of Anna. She is on the right

{{gwi:48393}}

Here is Topaz, my little baby that she killed

{{gwi:36284}}

I think the pekin should do great with Bill. He sounds like a sweet duck. I use to have a pekin and she was so pretty. I only had her for 9 months and then she got an infection in her leg that spread all over her body. We carried her to the Vet, but the medicine they gave her didn't help much. Here is a picture of her

{{gwi:36283}}

Let me know how Bill and the new girl do together!

Genny

• beeliz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aww...cute pics! Thanks for that!
    I got the new lady,named her merrigold,she's beautiful!
    They're doing great together,maybe I'll get spring ducklings!! Sorry to hear of your adsorable dog..he's so cute...but I would have done the same,we need to keep peace right? :)

• Miss_Kitty
    17 years ago

I've got a fairly large flock of ducks, about 20, and the males wrestle all the time. I've seen the duck hens square off with a RIR rooster and win! It's fairly common to see females wrestling and grabbing feathers, swinging each other around, flapping and shoving. I see a lot of lost feathers. There are also the big fights between males that result in tools, wheelbarrows, chairs and tables knocked over.

It is truely hard to believe that such violent outbursts are normal for such a peaceful animal, but they are. Social standing in the pecking order, access to food, mates, favorite perches, all send my flock into wrestlemania.

We as critter keepers need to monitor things, because our comfort level counts. Thats why I got rid of my RIReds, they were really out of hand. I have noticed that the larger my flock is, the fewer problems they seem to have with eachother.

hope your problem is solved.

kitty

• beeliz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kitty,my problem has resolved...I brought my violent drake to a hobby farm in the area...I now have a female pekin who is perfectly matched with my other pekin. Now things are peaceful and happy...once again,maybe we'll even get ducklings this spring! :)

• GennyM
    17 years ago

That would be cute if you got ducklings! They're a lot of fun! Two of my ducks had babies this year. It was so much fun! And our cockatiel eggs hatched! How's your baby finches doing???

• Shirlene Hammond
    7 years ago

Thank God, I thought I was living in the violent hood. I can see I'm not alone. I have a bully right now. I feel for the bullied they are both Pekin and I believe possibly the ones I got as a pair, not sure gender, they each have paired off with brown breads. I hate the violence. Going to end up killing myself attempting to referee. Have fell chasing them apart. My macovies square off quiet frequently too, even end up in the lake with ones head under water. The breeding process is horrible too to run across. Same as elementary school, I HATE BULLIES!!!!!! But I have 8 babies out of 13 right now about 6 weeks old that are absoutely adorable. Thanks for info.

• Wendy Hunt
    7 years ago

Hi i have one Drake four Ducks they all have been great

last two days my two female ducks re fighting

full on the younger duck is pulling feathers out of the other one and wont stop attacking her

they have always got on

i have had to seperate them this eve

does any one know why they would start fighting out of the blue

im really concerned

• Ashley Grassmyer
    7 years ago

Now this is weird cuz my female Muscovy was originally in her pen with her mate that's been with her since they were ducklings. They're both a year old. Back in Late may I got two more ducks that are Muscovy mixed with PeaKing. They look like they're on steroids cuz they're 4 times the size of both my female & male muscovies. When they were big enough I put those two out with my other two. Well the female took em in as her own babies at first. Then when they got bigger she started chasing just the one around and she would get it cornered in the house and rip its face face feathers out. I ended up making two 9 ft x 13 ft pens and separated them. From time to time they get into it thru the fence.

• Ashley Grassmyer
    7 years ago

Oh and I forgot to say I can not tell what sex either of the two new babies are bc of how big they are and their facial markings (the red mask on their face)

• Jackie Deboard
    3 years ago

I have 3 male khaki Campbell and 3 female Perkins all of a sudden they have all been attacking one of the female Now she can't walk what would make them do this they have all been raised together. Any ideas.

• Mercedes Hill
    3 years ago

I have two ducks there only 8 weeks old I don't know which is female or male yet but one of the ducks is attacking the other what do I do

• HU-384043131
    3 years ago

This is a common duck behavior. Unfortunately, they will bully one of their own for no reason out of the blue. I just lost a khaki campbell yesterday to a peking bully incident. They will fight to the death. I have separated the male peking for a year since he is such a bully. Very inconvenient but normal duck behavior.

• Beth’s Productions
    3 years ago

Hey this seems to be happening to one of my Indian runner ducks she seems to have lost a lot of feathers over time and we looker at her wings and we think the male duck maybe bullying the female we are not sure what to do if this continues is the best option to buy another cage and separate them?

• Michael Miller
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing your duck story 13 years ago. We just moved into an apartment with a duck pond 50' from our back porch and it's got all different kinds of ducks and geese. The ducks are nicer and there are different ones, ratty ones, mean ones, wussy ones, skinny ones, fat ones...very often a new gang of teenie tiny ones under mom's feets. They're always fighin for territory or humpin each other. It is quite the backyard reality show. The geese are another story, there is this one that looks different than the rest and he's always causing trouble with the ducks. He's the alpha goose and he doesn't let anyone forget it for a minute. Somebody needs to mess his 6.75lb feathered butt up. Alpha goose pic included.

• Hamna Khan
    3 years ago

Hi i have 8 ducks i have them since they were ducklings they used to sleep together and walk together but now since there are 3 females and 5 males 4 of the males are bullying and pecking the head of one of the male and i dont know what to do anymore because if i separate one male he will feel lonely i dont know what to do can u please help me

• HU-574844032
    3 years ago

you have way too many males in your flock.. you either have to get more females or separate the males or at least 2 of them

• Hakan Goker
    2 years ago

I have seperated the male duck trying ro kill little ducklings for couple of hours. I put the female duck with 2 weeks old 4 week old ducklings for couple of hours I let the male duck next to entire ducklings and female duck after two hours and they spent the night together no fight no dead so far

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County