SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gennym_gw

today when I went out to check on my duck!!!!!.............

GennyM
18 years ago

hey ya'll. You all know I have muscovies. Well, we have 7 in all. 7 (including the mallard.) I have 3 girls and 4 boys. Sometimes it is hard having all those boys, but they aren't as bad and mean as I thought they would be. Two of my girls are sisters, they are best friends too. The other girl I found at the falls w/out a mother. She grew up with my mallard and they are best friends. She is also the one that can't walk on her left leg. She was born with something wrong with it I guess.

Anyway, I have a duck pen built. Then, I have a huge fence that goes around the duck pen. We have about 3 acres. All of it is fenced in. The duck pen is inside the fence, it isn't part of it. I have a child sized dollhouse inside the pen and I put the 3 girls in there at night. I leave the boys out in the pen. Thye have tons of tall weeds and bushes to walk around in and sleep in so they are safe.

Well, I've had all my ducks about 2 years now, they've all always got along. Sometimes, Jake, my muscovie girl will peck at Troy, the duck that has the hurt leg. But, she has never hurt her so I never really thought anything about it. Whenever i saw her pecking her I just walked over and made her stop.

I went to put the girls in the dollhouse lastnight like I always do. Then, this morning I went to feed them and give them water like I always do. When I opened the door to the dollhouse to let the girls come out, Jake and Topaz (the 2 sisters) came running out. Troy, the one with the hurt leg, was sitting over in the corner. She was bleading really bad on her tail and her face was bleading. It wasn't a life or death situation but it looked like it really hurt. Jake had blood and feathers all over her beak. She also had blood all over her chest, So, Jake had attacked Troy in the middle of the night while they were in the dollhouse and pulled her feathers out. She couldn't have done this either in 15 or 20 minutes. This had to take atleast a couple of hours! It was so terrible. I got Troy and brought her in and we went and got medicine at the vet to put on the open wound. She is going to be ok, thank goodness :) I don't know what we would do if we lost her. She's a special little girl.

But, I didn't know that girl ducks would fight like that!! I know everynow and then my boys might have a little fight, but I always break it up and no one ever gets hurt. But, had no idea that girls fight! Troy is the sweetest duck ever, she never bothers anyone or anything! Jake has never liked her that much, but I didn't think she disliked her that much. We have Troy in the house. We're letting her stay inside tonight. We went and bought hr a doghouse so that she'll have her own place to stay at night and wont have to stay with them in the dollhouse anymore. My grandpa is building a door for it so that we can open and shut it.I just wanted to let you all know. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to one of your ducks before? I was so upset but Troy is doing better. Bye, Genny

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery