SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
temp31415

Asian Pear Tree Questions

12 years ago

Hello,

My wife and I bought 5 acres in North Eastern Washington and we are planning on planting some Asian pear trees this spring. I'm hoping you can help with some of my questions.

I am planning on buying the trees from Burnt Ridge Nursery and they put their trees on OHxF 513 rootstock. Is there any disadvantage to this root stock compared to a full size rootstock? I'm mostly concerned about disease resistance and drought tolerance from the rootstock. I've tried to research drought tolerance for pear trees but haven't found very many sources. In our area, some apple growers use M111 rootstock because it doesn't need to be irrigated after the tree is established. Would that be the case for OHxF 513?

I am looking at the following varieties: YOINASHI, CHOJURO, SHINKO, and KOREAN GIANT. I really like Asian pears so if they do well, I'll probably plant more varieties in the future. I tried to pick varieties that were disease resistant. If one of the trees does get a disease such as fireblight, does it negatively impact the other trees?

Deer and pocket gophers are a concern in our area. In the next few years I'll fence the area to keep the deer out but I was thinking about getting some 5ft tree shelters for the trees in the meantime. Does anybody have an experience with the tubex or plantra tubes and Asian pear trees?

I'm planning on planting goumi near by the trees as well as clover to help with nitrogen. The area we are planning on planting them in is mostly grass right now with some spotted knapweed.

Any other thoughts or words of wisdom you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)