SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
targe_gw

Blighted Apple Trees, Cankers

targe
14 years ago

Hello all!

The spring of 2008 I began my journey into the wonderful world of growing my own fruit. I started out small with a few different trees and shrubs which I cared for in the best way I knew. The next year I did the same. This winter I realized that just bringing water to my trees during dry spells and putting fence around them was not enough, and that I needed to start pruning(late I know!). after reading up on different methods of pruning, I decided on the central leader strategy and was off with my tree paint and pruning shears.

Upon inspection my Liberty Apple tree (one of the ones planted in 08) it appears to be afflicted with some sort of canker. After doing exhaustive searches I cant really decide whats wrong with it. Half of me thinks its fire blight, and the other thinks its some kind of fungal infection. I understand that fire blight attacks the buds first, but this appears to start indiscriminately. Reflecting, I remember there were some dying leaves late last summer (August/September). I would appreciate input as no one that I know is familiar with this sort of thing.I live in Northeast Pennsylvania [zip 18444] where the average high doesn't get to 68 until May 23.

tl;dr:

1. what is this?

2. how can i fix it?

3. If it cant be fixed should i kill the tree to prevent exposure to my other trees?

Any help is most sincerely appreciated.

The Trunk:

{{gwi:58223}}

Branches:

{{gwi:58225}}

{{gwi:58227}}

Tags:

{{gwi:58229}}

Comments (8)