SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumhillfarm

Plum Cracking

plumhillfarm
13 years ago

Plum Cracking

The biggest yield loss I have in my plum orchard is cracking of the fruit. I live in Vermont (near zone 5, plums for 15 yr) and regularly have dry spells followed by very wet weather. I have seen cracking on essentially everything, including peaches ,in really bad conditions, but with a huge variability from cultivar to cultivar.

Since I am continually adding to my orchard, it would be nice to be able to compare cracking between cultivars.

If people could add in thier experiences, we could develop a relative cracking index which would help a large number of people.

Since every year is different, as well as when in the ripening sequence the adverse weather occurs it is hard to make an absolute scale. So I have averaged how often I see significant damage. For example Pembina cracks readily, and only in 1 year so far has it not had >50% of the fruit cracked, where as alderman only has significant losses in really bad years. Some of my results may be due to the variety not being "ready" to split or limited number of years they have fruited so getting a broader field of experiences is important

If anybody has a better idea on how to do this please let me know.

Very High (>60% crack bad yr)

Pembina (so productive still get a lot of plums)

Superior "

Plum parfait (normally 100% loss)

High (40-60%)

Redheart

Starks Declicious

Au Auburn

La Cresent

Medium (20-40%)

Toka

Kaga

Graciuos

Kahinta

Underwood

South Dakota

Pipestone

Mirabelle De Metz

Mirabelle De Nancy

Peach Plum

GreenGage

Reine De Claude Gage

Jefferson (blue prune)

Low (10-20%)

Ozark Premier

Comet De Kumetz

Methley

Alderman

Purple Heart

Earlty Costello

Obil�naja

Rema

Rose Marie

Formosa

Sumumo

Shiro

Ozark Premier

Alabaster

Kirkes Blue

Great Yellow

Ouillins Gage

Very Low

Eary Blue

Ny71

Castleton

Early Laxton

Starks blue

Pp6995

Fellenburg

Long John

Stanley

De Montford

Schoolhouse

opal

� Ersinger

Empress

Comments (11)

• alan haigh
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm very impressed by the variety of plums you grow. It would be nice if you gave us all evaluations of your favorite 15 or 20 varieties in terms of flavor and productivity.

I find that prune plums in general don't crack as much as Jap types and some of the gage Euros.

Shiro is a huge cracker here when rain comes just as it ripens but I manage some trees not in full sun. It is less a problem where it is in full sun- especially on windy sites.

Of Jap types, Santa Rosa and it's close relatives are very crack resistant. I suggest you try Earli Majic from Hilltop, which is the best I've tried in its early season of Jap types and like other SR types doesn't crack much. Fortune is highly susceptible and Elephant Heart also. Elephant H. also gets a lot of something called pitch pockets which is a large problem for me. Too bad because they're both so good tasting I can't cut the trees down.

You also have to grow Satsuma (ACN) which has some of that Elephant Heart quality with none of the problems. Did I mention that EH is also slow to come into bearing for a Jap? Satsuma is very precocious, productive and crack-free. Unfortunately it's rather a small plum- much smaller than EH.

Of later prune types I really like Valor (ACN) a lot for good size and great flavor but may not work so well for commercial production because of an extremely long ripening period.

Most commercial growers solve a lot of the cracking problem by picking their plums before they're any good as a lot of the cracking happens just as they sweeten up.

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

I don't think you can do much better than a scale like this. Even with such a scale, it varies from climate to climate so your scale is accurate for you only. My Superiors for example ripen up softer than yours I expect since its hotter, and they have yet to crack. There does seem to be some commonality, for example my La Crescent is somewhat prone to cracking and my Coes Golden Drop and French Prune are medium-low for me which is where the related Euro plums are on your scale.

I would also be interested in which plums you like the best. I have a couple dozen plums I am trying and so far only Satsuma is on my winner list for reliably producing great plums every year, even if a bit on the small side.

Scott

• Related Discussions

Mirabelles - Plums What is the difference?

Q

Comments (49)
    I have a question about my Mirabelle plums. They are much larger than what I am reading here. My dad planted it many years ago and he always referred to it as an Asian plum. They are yellow with a pink tint. Much larger than a cherry and even a bit bigger than the purple plums I have growing. Is there another yellow plum similar? The are more oblong in shape than round. Thanks
    ...See More

Butchered roots

Q

Comments (43)
    Were they like these? This is my Bay Laurel order from last March. Gold Dust peach (top)- Very thick (1" caliper just above the rootstock and 3/4" at the top), but the roots are pretty short. It put on very little growth the first year. The 7/16" caliper trees from FruitTreeFarm, which I got the same week, have far outpaced it in canopy size. One isn't quite as thick (3/4"), but the other (Jefferson) has caught up. One difference to consider is that while the FTF trees are on Halford, the BL is on Citation. Tomcot apricot (middle)- I potted this one, so It's actually expected that it didn't put on much growth. Roots this size at least fit nicely in a container... The one on the bottom is a Natchez blackberry- maybe. It has small thorns, something I don't believe it should have... Last week, I got a Laroda plum from Sanhedrin, one day before you got yours from Bay Laurel. It had more roots than the BL, but was still trimmed more than I'd like (both branches and roots). When I locate the pic, I'll post it for comparison. This post was edited by bob_z6 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 0:50
    ...See More

Growing fruit in the NY munsoon

Q

Comments (9)
    Scaper, your rain must be on it's way because it hasn't rained here for almost a whole week- I'm calling drought. In another week we'll be complaining about having to drag hoses around. It's amazing how a little bit of clear sky and full sun can transform a bleak season into a bountiful one. My Shiros have stopped cracking and are coloring up and they are sweet at last! They are not my favorite fruit by any means but I love giving them away to people and even half a crop from a mature tree is quite a lot of fruit. I tasted a truly ripe Oullins plum from my young tree yesterday and it really is an exquisite fruit. I hadn't tasted a ripe gage-type for several years and forgot how uniquely rich they are. God, does this mean I'm going to have to try to grow this seriously challenging fruit!
    ...See More

stubborn plum seed

Q

Comments (1)
    Sprouted seeds should be removed from the refrigerator and planted as soon as they appear. You don't list your zone or where you are from to comment on whether you can plant it in the ground or if you have to put it in a pot. It most certainly could grow under lights for a while. SCG
    ...See More
  • Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

That's pretty normal that soft plums crack easier then late
    firm prune plums, allot of rain can do it too.
    GreenGage or Reine De Claude Gage is the same plum.

Konrad

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

One of the firmest J. plums I grow, probably the firmest, is Fortune and it cracked terribly the year before last under very wet conditions. Softness doesn't seem to be an issue for the J. types and I can't say I've seen a correlation with the Euros either. Most plums are picked soft. I don't know that I pick gages softer than prune types. I have far less experience with gages though.

• theaceofspades
    13 years ago

Plumhillfarm, I am a plum collector and will be going out to the CRFG scion exchanges next week, most of my 15 trees are starting to produce. Dozens of grafts (including many on your list) should produce this next season. Shiro cracks badly for my small tree. On your list, Shiro has low tendency to crack. But, there are cultivars that do crack up to 100%. Many Pluots I grow are crackers even when they are grown in California. Superior unfortunately cracks a lot here. I occasionally get even a few peaches that crack but these are thinned, like nothing. I also find the same tree performs different on the more shaded side of my yard. This year there was a lot less cracking but a tendency towards dry taste. I think there are cultural practices we may learn to reduce cracking to acceptable levels. My plums tended to crack less as the tree matures. This winter I covered the entire plum area with wood chips to keep the soil moisture constant. So generally a cracking list would only be a guideline. ACN grows and sells a full line of pluots and some plums that are crackers. Possibly they know more than we do.

• plumhillfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

As for cracking, it seems not to depend so much on the firmness of the outside, but the amount of sugar on the inside. Pembina (and a bunch of others especially the American-Japanese hybrids) ripen from the inside out, being firm on the outside and soft in the center. When they crack they open up like a flower showing the pit. The trick is to pick them as soon as the center starts to soften, before to much sugar is released (the sugar causes an increase in pressure if water is present). We do this by tasting as we go, but still loose a lot of fruit.

As for the best variety, the question we deal with is "What is the best today". We are setup up for sequential ripening with over 70 plum varieties, 6 or so peaches, and sweet and sour cherries (we have a couple of apricots which produce a crop every 3 years or so, could use more if they cropped regularily). The cherries start in the middle of July and the rest start at the beginning of August and last until the middle of Oct, so we need a "favorite" every week for 12 weeks.

The favorite of our customers by far is Purple Heart, medium sized Japanese which is purple all the way thru with outstanding flavor. It requires multiple picking over a couple of weeks but stores very well for a Japanese.

Other favorites include:
    American Mirabelle, which ripens at the beginning of Sept and is extremely sweet and flavorible
    Royal De Vilvoorde medium small european,
    Kirkes Blue, blue European with very sweet green flesh
    Catherine, late yellow European
    De Montford, Early European
    Oullins gage a large sweet gage and productive
    Alabaster, medium sized yellow European
    Empress and Fellenburg (from millers), very rich and sweet
    Opal, Small early European
    Early Costello, early purple Japanese ripens just after methley with much better flavor
    Rose Marie, very good late Japanese large purple with purple-red steaks (may be mis-identified, I got it as scionwood from a private party)
    Formosa, very large very good japanese, marginally hardy, fruits every couple of years
    Great Yellow, large yellow very good plum, productive, Burbank selection
    Superior good, but cracks
    Ozark Premier, Large Japanese, marginally hardy but normally crops, must be picked while hard or turns to mush

These are the favorites, but most of the others are very good when picked at peak ripeness which is what we do. There is a good deal of waste (which I plan on turning into brandy after I retire from my day job).

Please let me know your favorites as well.

We need better early varieties, I have a 2nd yr Early Gold which has not fruited yet, and ordered some Oushi wase for this spring. We have Methley, Comet de Kumetz(sp?), Early Costello for early plums

I could not find anyone selling Early Magic (Hilltop does not list it). Would it be possible to get some scionwood?

I have a couple of 2nd yr Satsuma�s (and Marisopal� as well) which had 2 plums on them last year, should get more this year. We tried Santa Rosa, but they were not hardy enough (couple of crops then died)

As for the gages, our green gage (gurney�s) is significantly different than our Riene De Claude gage (grin). I am sure there are many strains out there. Both are not very productive, and if they don�t put out a good crop this year I will pull them out.

On the older varieties, like Fellenburg, the specific strain may be important, I have read that Valor is significantly sweeter than Fellenburg, but its hard to believe since the variety we have is so sweet its like honey.

Eric

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

70 varieties, I think you have all of us beat there. I agree on the Purple Heart, I have a young tree and had to harvest early last summer to get the few fruits before the birds (they know good fruit, all the PHs were getting nailed and they were ignoring the others nearby) but even underripe they were better than most of my other plums. Here are some other ones I am liking although some have flaws.

French Prune (aka French Petite, French Improved, Prune d'Agen) - a classic prune plum with delicious sugary flavor. Also highly productive. Cracks sometimes. They were quite a bit better than my Fellenberg.

Coe's Golden Drop - A wonderful juicy aromatic plum; unfortunately quite prone to cracking and rot.

Spring Satin - Taste is fine; the main advantage is its very early (not quite spring but late June for me). It may freeze out for you since its a plumcot, but it could be worth a try; its a very easy grower and highly precocious and productive.

Wickson - this plum has a unique rich and aromatic flavor. Its somewhat prone to rot and they also sometimes get those pockets like the EH as mentioned by hman above.

Santa Rosa - one of the best tasting but not productive for me.

Satsuma - as mentioned above, its my favorite. Pick late to get the spicy flavor that makes them stand out.

Flavor Supreme - excellent taste but extremely unproductive.

Superior - a good plum but not always ripening sweet enough for me, maybe its too hot.

Red Heart - Similar but not quite as good as Satsuma; quite a bit later.

Scott

• plumhillfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cultural practices for cracking.

I agree this is important.

Our farm is in the Champlain Valley ~ 1 mile from Lake Champlain. The soil is brown limestone clay with a 6 degree slope to the west. The trees are planted on small raised strips north to south where manure and sand as tilled in to cut the clay a ~ 12X16� centers. There is a 300� wide forest to the south and west, a ridge on the east and just a treed fence line on the north so we are protected from wind except from the north. We have in ground dripper irrigation fed from 2 small ponds but with limited capacity.

Our season is short, Empress, and even Stanley sometimes do not ripen properly before it gets to cold. It�s not that it freezes, but there is to little light and warmth for them to sweeten up

The clay holds water well, so early ripening fruit usually has fairly constant water supply, late July and August is when it normally dries out and the clay cracks. Cracked clay is extremely efficient is trapping any rainfall, as it just runs down the cracks, not off the field. A 20 min thunder shower can provide water for a week. I would like to get a few tons of cheap gypsum to cut the clay some more.

I fertilize 3X yr, May, July, Oct with compost mixed with dry fertilizer (more nitrogen in May and July) to try and get >1� growth on the mature trees.

I prune 25-30% off everything each year, more on the very vigorous stuff.

The trees are kept to 8-10� tall and wide with some exceptions.

We thin to ~6" between fruit, which is likely not enough.

We have some mulched areas between the trees (we have voles so I keep it 3� from the trunks), but we do not have enough chips to do all the trees.

Last year was the first year in 3 yrs we had an extended dry spell. Since I had not used the irrigation system in 2 yrs, it took awhile to get all the leaks fixed. Then we got 2" of rain and had massive cracking with dozens of trees 100% loss.

My First Lesson: make sure your irrigation system works when you need it. It is very likely the damage would have been far less if the trees had not been so dry when the rain hit.

We do get cracked Shiros, but a lot lower % of them than our other varieties. It could be it dry�s out later here, and or the temperatures are more moderate here, or the swings in water stress (combined water and heat) occur later here.

My opinion on cracking is it�s driven by hydrostatic pressure which occurs when the starch gets broken down to sugars, then the sugars absorb water increasing the pressure inside the fruit. Whether it cracks or not is due to how strong the fruit is vs this pressure, and how fast the pressure builds. Dry fruit splits more due to the rapid buildup of pressure as the tree re-hydrates, where as properly hydrated fruits only absorb a limited amount more water so the pressure differences are less when a hydrated fruit is rained on than a dry fruit.

Some fruits have lots of sugar but crack little, like fellenburg, which I put in the fruit strength (or perhaps flexability) bucket.

What do you think?

I would like to find out which varieties are so called "strong"

If you send me you email I will send you a list of what varieties we have and some basic data.

I am interested in scion swapping as well.

Eric

• theaceofspades
    13 years ago

Some observations;

The most cracking in plums comes after rain.

I've put footies on plums to protect them from yellow jackets and those cracked the next day in rain and ones on the same tree without footies didn't crack. So it appears moisture softens the skin enough to crack them.

As plum trees mature I've noticed less cracking.

Things I am trying now;

Spread thick wood chip mulch around entire root area to keep soil moisture constant.

I've had small 'green' plums crack two seasons ago. Sugars haven't developed in small green plums to crack them. Last season they didn't crack but PC got them. The tree has grown a lot larger and maybe a lot less cracking next season.

Allow trees to grow large as possible.

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

Eric, I could give you some Earli-Majic wood or trade for some Purple Heart. Maybe you can give me some tips on grafting plums as my take rate sucks with them.

I don't understand why Hilltop would stop selling Earli-Majic when it has become a somewhat noticed variety- at least by U of Washington, which included it in a variety evaluation study. It is theirs exclusively, unfortunately.

• alan haigh
    13 years ago

By the way, I haven't observed a correlation between cracking and uneven moisture through the growing season. As Ace mentioned, my experience is cracking occurs when it rains near picking time. The 09 season was, by far, the worst cracking year I've experienced and the rains were so constant the soil never dried out.

I've not had any cracking without rain within a week of harvest on any variety. I went to a lecture about Rheine Claude production in France and the lecturer said a successful harvest was completely reliant a rain free period the week or two preceding harvest.