SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dighappy

Chicken ID (long w/pics)

dighappy
18 years ago

Our neighbors have chickens (4 hens and 1 rooster) that spend probably 50% of their day at our house, we really enjoy them. 3 or 4 months ago we noticed a 5th hen with the group...she did not look like the other hens, she was built more like the rooster and was not rounded like the other hens we even thought she might be a young rooster (not knowing much about chickens). She also was not friendly at all, she was pretty much scared of us and would not come when we threw down scratch grains for the other chickens. After about a month we did not see her with the chickens so we thought something had happened to her, then we would see her by herself and she would disappear again. Well, about 3 weeks ago out from our shed came this chicken with 6 peeps.....so much for speculation on hen vs. rooster. She is very protective of the chicks (hence the crappy pics attached) and still does not come when you throw feed down. I brought home some start and grow for the chicks and they are eating some of it but prefer to scratch around for bugs and stuff. They also eat the birdseed I throw out for the other wild birds. Is it possible that she is wild and this is the reason she is not friendly. I thought that once the chicks got older she would take them home (home with the other chickens) but everyone I have talked to at the feed store where I work for has told me that they consider our house home now. How can I friendly her up a little. Can anyone tell by my stinko pictures what kind of chicken she is, maybe her breed is more standoffish? Any input would be appreciated. Either way, the peeps are adorable (my favorite is the one with the racing stripe). We are down to 5 chicks now. They are living in our shed behind some plywood leaning against the wall. If they stay, I will ask DH to clean out this shed (unfortunately it is next to my garage in my front yard) and try to set up something for them there or is it possible to get them to move back to the barn behind the house. Here are a few pics.

{{gwi:46369}}
{{gwi:46371}}
{{gwi:46372}}
{{gwi:46374}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner