SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

pawpaw spacing - how close is too close?

armyofda12mnkeys
12 years ago

I wanted to make a lil' "hedgerow" of 6 pawpaw trees in my front yard (and 2 in the backyard). I was curious how close can/should they be planted? (I was hoping I could plant them pretty close to make a lil' wall of pawpaws so my side-neighbors and us have some extra privacy too, and for extra space in the front garden).

I heard they can and sometimes should be planted closer (as closer as 5-6ft spacing) as its hard for them to pollinate each other (unless i read you hand-pollinate or put dead animal carcasses near them hehe). I dont mind having crazy amounts of fruit since getting so many trees. 20-30 fruits per tree is fine by me (but amounts like 140 per tree is also fine:) ).

The structure of the pawpaw seems to be pyramidal shape, makes it seem like 6ft spacing would have them touching each other at the lower portions of the trees and if they get too close there, can just prune off the branches there maybe?

(I'll probably put the couple Sunflower varieties in special standlone locations in backyard since they are self-fertile, but the rest I'll put in front, hopefully as closer as possible to make for extra room for other trees).

Comments (6)