SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristenmarie_gw

meat chicken and chicken gender issues

kristenmarie
18 years ago

So my chickens are 3 months old (I got 25 all male heavies, plus a batch of various females)...

To some extent, I can tell the roosters from the hens at this point, but I'm wondering if you all can help me tell for sure for some of them. I look at my "for sure" hens (my old 3-year-old hens) and some of them have pretty good size waddles and combs... SO on the young chickens which aren't crowing yet , how do I tell for sure whether a rooster is really a rooster or whether it's a hen with a big comb?

Next: Let the chicken slaughtering begin. My husband really wants to (sigh) pluck them instead of skin them. Anyone got some suggestions on how to do a big batch in one day (say 15-25 in one day, depending on how many are actually out there). What's your process?

Lastly, I had to order some of the banties as straight run, so I've got about 6 or 7 bantam roosters. They're only 3 months old, not much meat on 'em, but I can't exactly keep 7 roosters around. Anyone have suggestions on what to do with bantie roosters?

Kristen

Comments (8)