SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turnkey4099

Journal for Aug 15-21

turnkey4099
18 years ago

Another week gone by with very little done. The lazies and the heat got me. Finally has cooled down to seasonal, mid to low 80s. Nights very obviously longer now and it is right chilly mornings. Haven't used the furnace yet to warm the house but it won't be long. I don't even want to guess what fuel oil will be this season.

Dodged the big one on Friday. Weather predicted a cold front. They didn't see what was going to happen. Around 3pm it arrived in the form of 60 mph winds, lightning etc.

Knocked power out to several thousand people in Spokane (branch on line), started many fires but fortunately had heavy rain with it so either put out the fire itself or contained them till the crews could get to them. One house was bisected by a falling tree, occupant had just stood up to see someone at the door when the tree landed on the couch. Our county was some different. I suspect the winds were higher than 60 and lasted for about an hour, no rain but heavy dust. Zero visibility, multi car pileups. People just will NOT slow down when they should. One unlucky guy stopped to help, stepped out and was rearended by a semi, he was critical last I heard. 6 cars including 3 semis in that one and closed the highway for about 3 hours. Multiple reports of firs during the wind but all were extinguished before running. How I don't know. As dry as it is with 60mph winds they should have been gone in an instant. Last year in same conditions a fire ran for 3 miles.

Re: Alma's treatments. They are for radiation and only take about 5 minutes. Alma says it takes longer to get undressed/dressed than the treatmen. The nice thing is our appointment is 11:00 and they mean that. Not like a lot of doctor type offices where an appointment time means everyone gets the same time. The only chemo scheduled is a hormone therapy and that will start 8 weeks down the road but is only 1 pill a day for 5 years.

The drive isn't all that bad. Going to Lewiston is a bit better as the route runs through a couple small towns, over hill/dale around corners so it isn't as boring as going to Spokane where you put it on auto pilot and maybe turn the steering wheel slightly a few times. 51 miles portal/portal.

Was out to the wood patch on Sat. Cool, high for day was 77. Finished up the snag that I left, most went on fire pile. Then fell/brushed/loaded the last tree where I am working. Left about 1/2 of it for the next trip. I quit at noon with only a half load. Can't see getting all beat out when there is no need to push it. Have one more tree in that area but will have to beat a track about 50 ft through the ancient blowdowns. I walked the route for a quick look. Didn't seem too bad, only found two logs in the 6ft tall grass crosswise of the proposed track.

Sprayed the flower bed that has been hijacked by chickweed yesterday. Was still looking pretty healthy last night, might need another feeding. Those petunias and marigolds are tougher than I...

Comments (7)