SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Weekend journal 20-21 January 2010

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

Daddy called on Friday and asked if he could "borrow" the ladder he'd given to me. How do you borrow something that is really your own? Of course he could. I was at mom's refinishing her wood floor so she can put her house on the market and told him I'd meet on Saturday. As I drifted off to sleep, I realized I needed it to clean the gutters out and so I set my alarm to get up and get it done before he got there. I got up early and had it done by 9:15. Whew! I left it on my back porch and headed out to run my only two errands, glad for a completely free weekend once they were done. The one and only fun thing I planned was to make an orange cake. That was it. I planned nothing else. Only when I got home, daddy was still in the driveway?! His truck's fuel pump had died and he was stuck. I don't have car tools as I always take the car to dad's, Mark's, or a mechanic. We decided I'd take him back to his home, a 45 minute drive there. After getting my car repaired the last couple of weeks, it's only been marginally better. I'd say about 60% better. To say the least, I was disappointed. During the ride, dad said he'd teach me how to do something, I don't remember what, but I said, "Really, I'd rather learn how to replace the spark plugs; I don't think it's been done since Mark did it 11 years ago." When we stopped to get his fuel pump, he bought me spark plugs. He said the car was still running rough because of it. I learned how to get the old plugs out, gap the news ones and put them in. Easy peasy. Cost him all of $11. My car was up to 90% better. Wow. Drove much better. I actually enjoyed the ride back home. He said the remaining 10% was a vacuum leak. We looked for it, but left it undone. As he looked for it, I was staring at the spark plug wires thinking, those are next. I got home and he called me. He said, "When was the last time you replaced the wires?" Of course, it'd been 11 years ago when Mark did the spark plugs. Or never. It's next and only about $50-$65. I bet it'll feel brand new! I made my cake and cleaned the house because I wanted to, not because I had to :) LF called me right before bed sad that he was hanging out with his dad, missing me. We cried, but at least we got to talk and he did enjoy the rest of the time there this weekend.

Sunday, I got up and went to church and then raced home to make sure I'd be there when dad got back to work on his car. Just in case he needed in the house for the restroom or to wash his hands, or needed a ride to the car parts place. He drove up in Lo's car, got out, diagnosed the electronics in the truck some more, started it and drove off. He came back later with Lilibeth and we got to visit with them and her dog Moses. Maggie wasn't thrilled with him, gave him a whack on his nose just to show him who was boss of the abode. He got the hint and hid behind Beth. Murphy, who's never seen a dog, smelled him and went on with his business. They left and LF and I ate dinner. We snuggled and then he took a bath. He got accepted to a school for gifted children, but we don't know which one. He's pretty happy, and I am glad that he'll get to be among his own, so that he'll feel more understood like he does in the program he gets to attend once a week. All week long, that'll be better. He's ready. And now I can move anywhere in the city of Nashville and it won't matter where. That makes us both happy!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions