SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Is it common for cukes and watermelons to get a slow start?

highlandernorth
9 years ago

I decided to grow my watermelons and cucumbers from seed this year. Turns out I had a 1/2 seed packet of lemon cucumbers from last year, so I sprouted them in 2" x 2" market packs on May 6th in garden soil. They came up, grew the first level of oval leaves, then began growing the first regular shaped leaf on each plant when I transplanted them into the ground. They were about 3" tall at that time. That was roughly 3 weeks ago, and the temps were in the mid 50's to low 70's until just last week when it went up to the high 70's to mid 80's around here. I looked at the plants yesterday, and they are maybe 7" tall with about 3 levels of primary leaves, but they have not yet fallen over and started growing like a vine yet.

Next the watermelons. I bought Orangleglo watermelon seeds on May 21st, sprouted them in wet paper towels, moved them outdoors to the final growing spot about 2 days after the roots broke out of the seeds, about May 26th. There were no leaves yet showing, only a 1/2" long root. I planted them about 1.5" deep under a mix of garden soil and regular soil, and a little mulch. I looked at them yesterday(6/9/14), and they are showing the first oval leaves and the first primary leaves and are about 2.5" tall now.

Is it normal for cukes to take about 5 weeks from seed to 7" tall plants when the temps are at or below 74 degrees F for 3 weeks, and is it normal for watermelons to take 19 days from seed to 2.5" tall with 1 primary leaf level at those same temps?

Thanks

Comments (9)