SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darrinky

Chickens won't go to roost! Help, advice!

darrinky
17 years ago

I have four cochin bantams that are about three months old now. I have other chicks up and coming. I am currently keeping the four older bird in a 10x10 dog kennel with wire over the top. It is 6 ft. high. There are several roost poles insid but no housing that is enclosed yet. No "chicken house" but i am working on it. The chickens are let out all day and have free run of the yard. They stay in the fenced in yard for now. When evening comes the chickens just hunch down in the yard wherever they seem to be. I have to go round em up and put them in the pen. They spend the next 10 minutes trying to find a way out and then finally settle down. Will i have to do this every night from now on or will they begin to go to roost on their own. It is just a matter of time before something gets them in the yard. They seem like sitting ducks at night if I leave them out. I need advice. I thought they would at least roost in a tree or under some hostas but they just are in the middle of the yard. I want them to free range. I need rookie advice. What to do???

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!