SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darkbeauty_k

My new *cheap* roses!

darkbeauty_k
18 years ago

I've stated this a gazillion times probably.. I work as a "certified nursery consultant" at our local big Orange box (If I am certified.. I pity the customers who want to consult me.. I learn more from them than they do from me.. I try and I'm getting better).

Anyways.. My department head had some slightly crispy slow moving roses on sale for $1.00 each. A whole pallet (about 15 or so plants) full of them. I watched them for a few days seeing how fast they sold... not a single one did. I asked her on sunday a week ago to sell me the whole pallet for $5.00 since she was going to trash them anyway. She wouldn't do it so I just bought 5 for $1 each(still a good deal I suppose, since they cost $14.98 normally). On Wednesday.. she threw the rest away (I told her I hated her because I could have taken them home and loved them and shared with friends and family).

But.. my 5 little rose bushes are in the "recuperation" part of my garden where I keep all the cutting plants, discount plants, and sick plants I buy or steal from work. They are Rosa "Nearly Wild" Floribunda and despite the lack of care they are blooming their fool heads off. Cute little old fashiony roses.. 5 bright pink petals that tend to fade to pale pink in the sun, white center, visible yellow stamens. One has lost almost all its foliage but it's getting a lot of new green all over the tips (we still might lose it). The rest are disease and insect free.. they were just very neglected in our dry Texas heat. Hopefully they will all pull through, grow shiny dark foliage, and be happy healthy little roses.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting