SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

2011 year for fleas??

Hi Folks,

We live on a farm and have dogs and cats, dogs wander in and out with us, cats are house bound. This year the fleas are almost a biblical plague or something!!

Background: We've used Frontline Plus for years with OK results. I keep one of those little "flea traps" with a 6W lamp and sticky paper near where the dogs usually lie and periodically check it. When I start seeing a couple of black spots, I start the Frontline. This year it was April 5, OK, all kritters got frontlined. They started scratching and the little black spots increased. May 1 I repeated the dose AND treated the house with "enforcer" the product that has IGR which kills them for seven months. Nope..... Kat Kritters haven't done any scratching, but they were treated anyway.

Chatted with the vet and she commented that while her preference is Frontline, it is possible that the fleas in my area could have built up a tolerance and I should try something else. OK, ordered Advantage, applied that May 25 and the itching stopped within a couple of hours. Now it's June 8 and the itching is starting again, as are the incidence of little black specks. Can't retreat this soon and am also reluctant to retreat with enforcer as it's only been about 3 weeks and it's supposed to control for 7 months.

Am considering going a more natural route and getting a large jar of minced garlic and adding it to their food. At least I keep reading about garlic being a flea repellant.

Don't know anything about a flea's life cycle, but they must like a lot of rain AND unseasonably high temps. 98 degrees at 10:30 this AM here in SE Ohio. It's been consistently around 90 for a couple of weeks, I believe that's at least 10-15 degrees above average for this time of year.

Thoughts, opinions, etc. welcome,

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH