SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferhyatt

Raised garden bed material..wood or plastic?

JenniferHyatt
11 years ago

I am going to add another raised garden bed (or two) to my yard for fall veggies. I will be planting peas and brussel sprouts and broccoli and lettuces and maybe some more peppers or tomatoes. I am trying to decide between a Greenes Raised Garden Bed sold by Home Depot which is a 4' x 4' x 7" cedar bed vs. a Bonnie plastic Raised Garden Bed which is 4' x 4' x 6". Cost wise they are about the same. The plastic bed is little more. (If you haven't heard of the Bonnie product, it is the same as the Frame it All plastic garden bed).

Of course I like the idea of the extra inch, and I don't think I need to stack them two high...I think even 6 inches is enough room, but I can't decide between the materials. I think the wood kit is easier to set up, and it is higher, and I think I like the looks of it better for my yard, but the plastic kit is well...plastic and will possibly last longer and I am afraid of termites.

Either way I plan on using two of the kits to give me a 4 x 12 garden area.

I have heard that some plastics are bad for the garden, but I was told the cedar would get termites in my area (I live in Las Vegas).

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? I would love your input. Not sure if I am allowed to post links to products so I will err on the side of caution. Home Depot sells the Greenes and Frame it All and Lowes sells the Bonnie.

Thank you so much for helping me decide!

Comments (13)