SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellie_may12

Frugal raised beds!

15 years ago

I finally found the answer!!! Our church had slate tiles put in the foyer. The tiles came in large wooden crates. I was able to salvage 4 of them. I was planning on building a chicken coop out of them, but then decided to put them out as raised beds....I spent a couple of nights laying awake wondering what to use on the sides to keep the dirt in the crates...landscape cloth, plywood, hmmmm....

Well my 2 year old and I went outside to play in the garden, and I decided to set out the crates and start filling them with compost. As I'm shoveling compost, DD finds an old political sign that I had saved in the shed and BINGO! I knew what to use for the sides!!! I slipped the sign on the inside of the wooden crate. Pressure from the compost will keep it standing up or I can nail it into the wood. The plastic sign won't rot and will protect the wood some! I just need to find a bunch more signs for the sides! Good thing I live in Louisiana...we have more elections around here than any other place I have ever lived!

Now I just need to collect some composted manure and start my seeds!

Comments (14)

Sponsored