SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

B4 and After Waterfall

madtripper
15 years ago

Thought you might be interested. My first water feature.

This is right behind my house. The ground is much steeper than it looks in this picture. My goal was to create a waterfall that is as natural looking as possible. All of the rocks come from my property - mostly limestone - some granite. All moved by hand.

{{gwi:55117}}

During construction: note the 3" diameter pipe. It is needed to keep the affect of 'head pressure' down. The waterfall drops close to 20 ft.

{{gwi:55118}}

Just after turning on the pump. At the top, the width of the river is narrow, getting widder as it gets to the bottom. If you look close you will see an island at the top. At points it widens out into pools. This is a very common river format here in Ontario. I know - I paddle a lot of rivers - hence the handle Madtripper.

The flow of the water follows the natural contour of the hill, but it also stays away (as much as possible) from the existing sugar maples, so the digging did as little damage as possible.

"Expert Books" suggest not to place waterfalls and ponds under trees - but they look so much more natural there!

{{gwi:55119}}

View from the bridge. The view from the bridge is the best view of the waterfall - that was quite unexpected - so much for great planning.

The bridge draws visitors to explore the garden more than if it were not there. Who can resist a bridge.

{{gwi:55120}}

View showing the bridge. The garden around the waterfall will be shadded and a bit on the wild side. I designed the bridge to look rustic. I think it could be even more rustic.

{{gwi:55121}}

Closeups:

I added a couple of old cedar logs with nicely sculptures roots (not visible in the picture). They make the scene look so much more natural.

{{gwi:55122}}

{{gwi:55123}}

{{gwi:55124}}

The source of the water is completely hidden:

{{gwi:55125}}

It will not look finsihed and natural until the plants are in, and a few years pass.

Comments (12)