SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

The thought process: Hmmm

ironbelly1
17 years ago

In responding to a posting on the gallery side of this forum, a major stumbling block occurred to me. To follow my thoughts on this, it is mandatory that readers accept the premise of the power of the subconscious mind and positive (not rose-colored glasses) thinking. It plays a pivotal role in human decision making.

Over the years, I have become increasingly annoyed with the negative baggage of connotations borne by the word "landscape". What does it mean in the verb tense, "to landscape"? The correct answer is that it all depends upon whom you are asking. Unfortunately, society at large would answer with an over-simplified response of: "planting bushes." Of course, the sister question of defining, "to garden ", is answered by: "planting flowers". In the minds of most, these two "disparate efforts", (landscaping and gardening) are delineated in this manner. It is no wonder that so many homeowners never achieve a comfort level with their home landscapes. Their thought process is hopelessly skewed against their ultimate success. I submit that the subconscious mind plays a large role in this phenomenon.

Delightfully engaging landscapes are more a product of the mind than of the shovel. With few exceptions and certainly for most homeowners I believe the house should be a major focal point of the landscape. Poor results are typically achieved when the landscape and the house are seen as distinctly separate entities. Why do you think that P. Allen Smith, the TV landscaping guru, endlessly repeats signature catch-phrases such as: "extension of the home into the garden"? Quite simply, it is to place into your subconscious mind a different way of thinking.

Words have power. Simple changes in word choices are subtle but make oh-so-much difference. As an example: take the two words, "house" and "home". They are certainly synonyms and are often used interchangeably. However, their subconscious inferences are quite different. Use the term, "house", and thoughts about bricks, mortar and structures come to mind. However, use the term, "home", and thoughts about mom, family, baking cookies and other generally warm thoughts emerge from your subconscious.

Although I am certainly not going to be able to change societys speech patterns, I suggest that we internally substitute the concept of displaying our home whenever we use the term, "landscaping". Isnt that what we really want to do? Instead of thinking in terms of "planting bushes", let us figure out how to best put our homes (not houses) on display. Yes, this concept is subtle. However, "As we think So shall we become."

IronBelly

Comments (23)