SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

Chicken in mourning

claraserena
18 years ago

Yesterday, one of our "meat" chickens, Martha, died. We had spared Martha and slightly smaller Mary when we harvested their "mates" last October. They were born last July so that makes them 9 months old. They were like sisters/best friends, always together, bottom of the pecking order. They slept together on the floor with Sluggo, our low status barred rock rooster (Underoo). Last week Martha had been sitting/resting a lot more than usual and I think her heart just gave out. When I got home, Martha was lying dead on the floor of the chicken house and Mary was in there alone with her. I think she was with her all day. When we took Martha out, Mary stayed in the house. And when she came out she was pretty quiet, didn't eat much. She really seemed sad, as if she was mourning the loss of her friend. I feel so bad for her. This morning she did come out and was getting around a little more. But I am worried about her. Will she be Ok without Martha? I've noticed that chickens stick with their own (the ones they hatched with I guess). Has anyone observed this kind of reaction to loss--and will Mary be come out of this?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21