SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

SVB Attack, Will Have to Operate

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

I looked at my beautiful pumpkin plant, one of the only things that has been flourishing in my garden thanks to the monsoon rains in Tennessee, LOL!, and it has tiny red pin sized dots on the leaves, plus on the bottoms there are a few stems that became mushy looking. This happened within the week and already leaves are dying off.

I scraped the eggs off with my finger on as many as I could find, not knowing what they were, just did a search, and there they were, Squash Vine Borer eggs staring back at me. I'm going to buy some neem oil and do the surgery to get them back into shape. I just got my female plants in on my pumpkin vine that was hopping with flowers this year unbelievably. The flood rains must have had a lot of nutrients in them because my gourgettes went wild.

Well, I see that last years dying off must have been because of the SVB even though I didn't see what they were. Each year you learn something new. Already they are destroying a perfectly good plant.

I'll try to get pictures of them tomorrow. Anyone else already being attacked? What have you done so far?

I went organic, but the nasturtiums and marigolds haven't bloomed yet, so I can't say they didn't work, just weren't bloomed yet. I'm going to really be disappointed this year I can tell.

My squash was attacked by a rabbit or groundhog, maybe even a bird? A vulture that was perched in a tree one day, the same day and the day after, the sunflower tops were eaten off, no flowers yet, but still looking a little too tall for bunny. Didn't attack the cabbage plants, did eat the carrot tops, so the smell of bare marigolds definitely didn't help because there was a sea of them next to the pumpkin and I thinned them out today.

Has anyone had luck with organic methods like marigolds and nasturtiums? Is it the flower or not? Well, I'll find out tomorrow how it's done, but have to buy some neem oil first.

Comments (17)